[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Misc questions

mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Hal McMillan) (05/08/91)

I'm a new user of DV/QEMM and have a couple of questions.

1.  Sometimes when I reboot, QEMM will begin to load and then my
machine will reboot.  Sometimes it will reboot itself a couple of
times before loading properly.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I
am using a new Gateway 386/33 (Micronics).  The QEMM docs don't seem
to mention this rebooting "feature", so I'm not sure how to diagnose
the problem.  I should probably mention that I did also have some
trouble with rebooting when I ran Optimize and the manual did mention
something about that.

2.  When I run Indy 500 (my current favorite game) under DV, it
inevitably locks up shortly after the game begins.  This does not
happen running it under Windows 386 enhanced.  I can switch away from
the game and then back to it and the game will continue, but the
graphics are somewhat trashed after that.  Has anyone had something
similar happen?  Is there some particular program option to look at?

3.  I run a PC version of Emacs and have to use the CTRL-C command for
certain functions.  If I do this, DV pops up a small menu indicating
that it has detected that BREAK has been pressed, and it gives me two
menu options neither of which seem to respond to the mouse.  I can't
find this popup menu described anywhere (or how to prevent it from
popping up).

These problems (multiple reboots, and not being able to run my
favorite editor or game) have left me running Win 386enh mode, where I
have no problems.  I would like to play more with DV if I can get some
of these problems resolved.

	Hal

--
Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu |  only under ideal conditions.  Which means never.

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (05/08/91)

From article <117986@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Hal McMillan):
> I'm a new user of DV/QEMM and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1.  Sometimes when I reboot, QEMM will begin to load and then my
> machine will reboot.  Sometimes it will reboot itself a couple of
> times before loading properly.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I had the same problem until I got Spinrite and had it work over my hard
disk.  I've had no problems since.

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.cs.sandia.gov
Sandia National Laboratories

spit@neuro (Michael D. Burdick) (05/08/91)

In article <117986@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Hal McMillan) writes:
>I'm a new user of DV/QEMM and have a couple of questions.
>
>1.  Sometimes when I reboot, QEMM will begin to load and then my
>machine will reboot.  Sometimes it will reboot itself a couple of
>times before loading properly.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I
>am using a new Gateway 386/33 (Micronics).

We had the same problem with a Gateway 486 and it was solved using the
NT (NoTopMemory) option for QEMM.

>2.  When I run Indy 500 (my current favorite game) under DV, it
>inevitably locks up shortly after the game begins.

I have had problems similar to this with other programs which use graphics.
Using the QEMM analysis fixed most of them.  Be sure to do it just like the
manual tells you to or you may make things worse!

Good Luck!

Michael Burdick
spit@neuro.duke.edu

malcolmc@spider.co.uk (Malcolm Campbell) (05/08/91)

In article <117986@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Hal McMillan) writes:
>I'm a new user of DV/QEMM and have a couple of questions.
>
>1.  Sometimes when I reboot, QEMM will begin to load and then my
>machine will reboot.  Sometimes it will reboot itself a couple of
>times before loading properly.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes! I had this problem on a couple of 386 machines (Mitac board based
machines) and thought it was a fault in the BIOS - anyone fixed this?

--- Malcolm

Malcolm Campbell - Senior Software Engineer |   Spider Systems Limited
- malcolmc@spider.co.uk   +44 31 554 9424   |   Edinburgh, EH6 5NG, Scotland