[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Disk cache and DESQview

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/07/91)

In article <q26g4-m@rpi.edu>, sigma@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Kevin Martin) writes:
> thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>>Also, anybody have some comments on the most reliable disk cache for use
>>with DV? (NOT SMARTDRIVE PLEASE!!!!)

> I've been running PC-Cache 6.0 underneath DV/386 without any problems.
> I've had a few problems with PC-Cache on other setups, so I'm a little
> worried.  Does anyone else have any experience with this or other caches?

I use Hyperdrive (shareware, available from simtel20) with no
problems. I chose this on the universal recommendation of people
on the DESQview conference on a local BBS (actually it's a bbs
network, but...)

One warning which is obvious in retrospect: do _not_ run OPTIMIZE
when you have staged writes on.

-dh

sigma@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Kevin Martin) (05/07/91)

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) writes:
>I use Hyperdrive (shareware, available from simtel20) with no
>problems. I chose this on the universal recommendation of people
>on the DESQview conference on a local BBS (actually it's a bbs
>network, but...)

I read some of the HyperDisk documentation; it made me nervous.  Does
anyone have this running smoothly in EMS on a 386 with QEMM and a large IDE
drive?  It's the IDE part which worries me a bit.

I don't usually get nervous easily, but the part about "don't install
without a full backup no matter how standard your system is" worried me.  I
don't presently have the resources for a full backup.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@ipl.rpi.edu

covar@oakhill.sps.mot.com (David Covar) (05/09/91)

>I don't usually get nervous easily, but the part about "don't install
>without a full backup no matter how standard your system is" worried me.
> I don't presently have the resources for a full backup.

 Well... if you check ANY cache-ing programs <hardware OR software>, they
 will have that exact same disclaimer.

  Besides, if they didn't say that, and you installed it improperly <which,
  btw, is quite hard to do, with HyperDisk's installation procedures>, then
  they would have some quite angry stupid customers, instead of just plain
  angry customers.

At any rate, I think just about anybody can buy a pack or two of floppies.
Especially if you have valuable data...