[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Quarterdesk participation in Fido DV echo

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/09/91)

In article <LF8L25w164w@halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>
>>    It took me months to tire of the Fido DESQVIEW conference,
>> partly because there is a QuarterDeck agent participating - at
>> least there was some tech info there.
>
>It may well benefit folks if some kind soul would work with Peter
>Stern or others of the FidoNet DV echo and get it gated to this
>newsgroup.

   There are many sites which could gate the DESQVIEW echo to
comp.os.msdos.desqview but, frankly, I don't think you'd like it.
For one thing, volume here seems to be on the order of 20 messages
per day; on Fido, it's more like 120.

   If the readership at large would still like to see the gateway
installed, let me know.  On the other hand, I could probably
speak to the agent participating in the Fido echo about setting up
a Usenet feed for direct participation... but I don't know if he'll
be able to get a local feed easily.

   Geoff

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (05/09/91)

From article <1991May08.171837.1549@xenitec.on.ca>, by geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh):

>    There are many sites which could gate the DESQVIEW echo to
> comp.os.msdos.desqview but, frankly, I don't think you'd like it.
> For one thing, volume here seems to be on the order of 20 messages
> per day; on Fido, it's more like 120.
>
>    If the readership at large would still like to see the gateway
> installed, let me know.  On the other hand, I could probably
> speak to the agent participating in the Fido echo about setting up
> a Usenet feed for direct participation... but I don't know if he'll
> be able to get a local feed easily.

Just a word of warning.  A few years ago I proposed a similar thing in the
OS/2 echo.  I contacted the creator of the Fidonet OS/2 echomail area and
got his approval.  I tried to find the originator of comp.sys.os2, but no
one responded.  I then had a one month long vote in both newsgroups to see
what the readership thought.  Both sides said go for it.

I started it up, and said I would run it for one month.  At that time we could
have another vote to decide whether to keep it or not.

Less than a week later, I was blasted by someone who said he was the person
who created the OS/2 newsgroup, and he wanted the gating stopped ... NOW.

I suggest everyone drop the idea of combining the two groups together into
one.  Instead, create a new newsgroup,  perhaps FIDO.DESQVIEW or ALT.DESQVIEW
which is outside of Usenet control, and run the two conferences in parallel.

- Kevin Lowey

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (05/11/91)

According to lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey):
>Less than a week later, I was blasted by someone who said he was the person
>who created the OS/2 newsgroup, and he wanted the gating stopped ... NOW.

Oh, posh.  There is no such thing as a newsgroup creator.  Maybe the
person in question ran the vote; if so, he has *no* special authority.

I would have ignored such a windbag.

>I suggest everyone drop the idea of combining the two groups together into
>one.  Instead, create a new newsgroup,  perhaps FIDO.DESQVIEW or ALT.DESQVIEW
>which is outside of Usenet control, and run the two conferences in parallel.

I really do like this idea, though.  It allows those who wish to avoid the
Fido traffic to do so easily.