[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Hyperdisk

small@turing.seas.ucla.edu (James F. Small) (05/12/91)

Hyperdisk, where can I find this beast?

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/12/91)

small@turing.seas.ucla.edu (James F. Small) writes:
>Hyperdisk, where can I find this beast?

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
HYDK421.ZIP   B  262319  910430  HyperDisk v4.21 disk cache system (shareware)

This file was obtained directly from the author.  If you do not have
access to Internet FTP, the file is also available via modem from
Detroit Download Central.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/12/91)

small@turing.seas.ucla.edu (James F. Small) writes:

> Hyperdisk, where can I find this beast?

Simtel-20 as HYDK421.ZIP in the pd1:<msdos.dskutl> directory.  Hey,
this looks pretty good!  It's supposed to release time slices and so
far hasn't barfed.  I loaded a 2-meg cache in high memory and get about
a 90% read hit and 32% write hit.  There's caveats about letting it
do 'staged write' (delayed disk writes), and since I have umpty-dozen
things happening simultaneously, decided not to press my luck.  It
also helped me fake a 4-meg data throughput on my hard drive.

--
                  Happiness is a good alias file.

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/12/91)

In article <9FDT21w164w@halcyon.uucp>, halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
> small@turing.seas.ucla.edu (James F. Small) writes:

>> Hyperdisk, where can I find this beast?

> Simtel-20 as HYDK421.ZIP in the pd1:<msdos.dskutl> directory.  Hey,
> this looks pretty good!  It's supposed to release time slices and so
> far hasn't barfed.  I loaded a 2-meg cache in high memory and get about
> a 90% read hit and 32% write hit.  There's caveats about letting it
> do 'staged write' (delayed disk writes), and since I have umpty-dozen
> things happening simultaneously, decided not to press my luck.  It
> also helped me fake a 4-meg data throughput on my hard drive.

I've been using staged-write on my hard disk since installing
hyperdisk and the only problem I encountered was when I ran
OPTIMIZE. The problem should be obvious (for those who are still
in the dark, remember that OPTIMIZE reboots the PC).

I've disabled staged write to the floppies as much as it helped
my performance since my primary use of my floppy drives is for
backups and it was too difficult to tell whether hyperdisk was
done with the write or not for flipping disks. Maybe when I get
around to writing my library backup program I'll include support
for hyperdisk staged writes so I can go back to it (It's a pity
that there seems to be no way of having different settings for
different DV windows with Hyperdisk, but that, I suppose, would
require a DV-specific cache.

-dh

---
Don Hosek
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu
Quixote Digital Typography
714-625-0147

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) (05/13/91)

Hyperdisk can also be found somewhere in compuserve. Try your local
board first.

Ted Grusec    Communications Research Centre    (Govt. of Canada, DOC)
 3701 Carling Ave., Ottawa, Ont.K2H 8S2, CANADA  Internet: ted@dgbt.doc.ca
  Compuserve: 73607,1576  (613) 998 2762   Fax (613) 993 8657