[comp.os.msdos.desqview] windows

johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) (05/05/91)

Hiya,

	The ads for desqview make the claim that it runs windows app's.
Does that mean running windows in a desqview window or does it run them
without windows, and which modes, and how well?

Thanks

johnw@reed.edu

--
    _ _     Duh!                                    |
  O/.V.\O  /      johnw@reed.edu (John B. Windberg) | UNIX and Beer....

vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu (James M. VandeVegt) (05/06/91)

In article <16377@reed.UUCP> johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) writes:
>Hiya,
>	The ads for desqview make the claim that it runs windows app's.
>Does that mean running windows in a desqview window or does it run them
>without windows, and which modes, and how well?
>Thanks
>johnw@reed.edu

I'm almost certain that they are referring to running Windows 3.0 in
a Desqview window.  There has been speculation that if everything
gets set up right, you can make Windows think you have tons of
memory while letting Qemm and DV do the work of swapping.  I have tried
this a little and did not get that good of results.  At least, not
as good as just running Windows from DOS.  Also, Windows did not
want to run in 386 Enhanced mode.

| James M. VandeVegt             |  University of Nebraska           |
| vandevek@fergvax.unl.edu       |  Computer Science and Engineering |
|                  Insert standard disclaimer here.                  |

cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) (05/08/91)

In article <16377@reed.UUCP> johnw@reed.UUCP (John B. Windberg) writes:
>	The ads for desqview make the claim that it runs windows app's.
>Does that mean running windows in a desqview window or does it run them
>without windows, and which modes, and how well?

DV will run Windows 3.0 in Real or Standard mode.  You can then run Windows
apps under Windows (no duh) under DV.

DV does _not_ support windowed graphics beyond _standard_ VGA modes.  Not
even 800X600.  If you give it the full screen, you can run extended modes,
but when you window the graphics, things get screwed up.

Current DV adverts show DV running a mix of DOS and WIN30 apps (graphic) all
in separate windows.  This only works with Windows in Real (or Standard) mode
and no fancy graphics modes.  But it does work.

Performance depends on your system, and how you tune DV.  It's obviously not
going to be any better than straight Windows, and most likely will be notice-
ably slower.

Gordon S. Hlavenka            cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us
Disclaimer:                Yeah, I said it.  So what?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May08.041552.347@vpnet.chi.il.us>,
cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) writes:
|> DV does _not_ support windowed graphics beyond _standard_ VGA
|> modes.  Not
|> even 800X600.  If you give it the full screen, you can run extended
|> modes,
|> but when you window the graphics, things get screwed up.

I just talked with Quarterdeck tech support yesterday, and they told
me that the latest version of DV (2.32) does support 800x600 video, as
well as high-res 256 color video modes.

m.

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.172122.5128@zola.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I just talked with Quarterdeck tech support yesterday, and they told
>me that the latest version of DV (2.32) does support 800x600 video, as
>well as high-res 256 color video modes.

I have 2.32 (from a recent upgrade), and it doesn't mention 800x600 video
anywhere.  There's still an "Other" option in the video driver field, as
there was in 2.26, but no supplied driver that looks as though it
would give me anything but the standard selection.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.172122.5128@zola.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
)In article <1991May08.041552.347@vpnet.chi.il.us>,
)cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) writes:
)I just talked with Quarterdeck tech support yesterday, and they told
)me that the latest version of DV (2.32) does support 800x600 video, as
)well as high-res 256 color video modes.

 I have DV 2.32, but it does not have support for 800x600 video mode
 or high-res 256 color.

Bryan

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (05/11/91)

so@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So) writes:
>portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>)cgordon@vpnet.chi.il.us (gordon hlavenka) writes:
>)I just talked with Quarterdeck tech support yesterday, and they told
>)me that the latest version of DV (2.32) does support 800x600 video, as
>)well as high-res 256 color video modes.
>
> I have DV 2.32, but it does not have support for 800x600 video mode
> or high-res 256 color.

Actually, your DV 2.32 DOES have support for 800x600 resolution,
IF you run it in 16-color mode.  Just choose '800x600x16' in
your Windows 3.0 setup, restart Windows under DV, switch away
from it and then switch back and the screen will be fully restored.
I just tried this 15 seconds ago and it works.

In addition, you can run ANY resolution under Desqview, you just
can't switch away from most extended resolutions and expect them
to be properly displayed when you switch back.  I can, for example,
run Windows in 1024x768x256 under DV in standard mode with no
problem; but if I switch away from it and then switch back I simply
have to bring up a full screen window to restore the display.  Other
than that inconvenience there are no problems.  (BTW, I have
QEMM 5.11 and DV 2.31.)

Here's a couple Q&A's from the Quarterdeck White Pages:

]Q: Is Desqview compatible with Extended VGA Modes?

]The highest resolution in the IBM VGA Specification is 640x480.
]Some VGA cards have the capability of displaying resolutions of
]700X420, 800X600, and 1024X768.  Since these modes are not
]standardized and most of the manufacturers of these cards
]implement these resolutions differently, DESQview cannot fully
]support these modes.

]DESQview will support 640X480 in that it can save and restore the
]screen when programs are switched away from and back to.  It can
]also virtualize this resolution, meaning it will allow a program
]that writes directly to the screen to stay running in a small
]window or in the background without bleeding through the
]foreground window.

]DESQview can Save and Restore 800X600 on some VGA cards if
]Graphic Pages in Change a Program is set to 4, but it cannot
]Virtualize it.  It's sometimes O.K. to set Runs in Background to
]Y and Virtualize... to N for purposes of printing in the
]background if the program doesn't do screen updates or only does
]minor screen updates while it's printing.

]Q: Why does only half of my screen get restored in some programs?

]When a program is switched away from and another program is put
]on the screen,  DESQview (not the program) saves that screen
]away.  When you switch back to that program DESQview redisplays
]on the screen what it had saved.  This saving and restoring
]process is done in Expanded memory if available.  Some programs
]use more video memory than others.  DESQview has to have a larger
]buffer available for those programs.  If the buffer isn't large
]enough, DESQview may only find enough room to save part of the
]screen.  When restored only part of the screen gets restored.
]The amount of memory used for this buffer is set in the Change-a-
]Programs Advanced Options.  The fields labeled "Text Pages:" and
]"Graphics Pages:" may be set from 1 to 4.  Each text page takes
]about 4K of memory and each graphic page requires 64K of memory.
]If only part of your program's display is getting restored, try
]raising these numbers.

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@magnus.  \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 acs.ohio-state.  \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (05/13/91)

From article <1991May10.142016.10849@maytag.waterloo.edu>, by dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch):

> I have 2.32 (from a recent upgrade), and it doesn't mention 800x600 video
> anywhere.

Set the number of graphics pages to four (4) and 800x600 works fine.

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.cs.sandia.gov
Sandia National Laboratories