[net.rec.birds] House Finches

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (08/03/85)

In article <849@mtuxo.UUCP> rsl@mtuxo.UUCP (r.little) writes:
>	                 ... Are House Finches, which seem to be
>progressively spreading across the USA, any more "desirable" than
>House Sparrows?  Will the novelty of their color and song wear thin
>after they have taken over?  What is their impact on native fauna?

     I thought that House Finches were native to N. America, whereas House
Sparrows (weaver finches) were introduced.  If this is right, I would doubt
that the Finches are expanding their range.
     If it is right, what direction are they spreading? (I won't ask where
they are now, as I can look that up in my Birds of NA.)
     --Jamie.
    ...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (08/05/85)

In article <1203@ubc-cs.UUCP>, andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
> >	                 ... Are House Finches, which seem to be
> >progressively spreading across the USA, any more "desirable" than
> >House Sparrows?  Will the novelty of their color and song wear thin
> >after they have taken over?  What is their impact on native fauna?
>
>      I thought that House Finches were native to N. America, whereas House
> Sparrows (weaver finches) were introduced.  If this is right, I would doubt
> that the Finches are expanding their range.
>      If it is right, what direction are they spreading? (I won't ask where
> they are now, as I can look that up in my Birds of NA.)
>      --Jamie.
>     ...!ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews

	I think what is happenin here is something I have seen with several
other species in several other places.  Man is developing or urbanizing so
much real estate that the bird community is thrown into upheaval.  Certain
types of birds adapt more easily to living with man.  They start displacing
the less adaptable.

	As part of this conflict, I have noticed that birds that are willing
to flock together will do so and use their numbers to drive out other species
of birds that travel in smaller numbers.  I have even seen them drive away
birds much larger than themselves.  (E.g. blackbirds and chickadees driving
away robins).  I have then seen the larger birds (such as robins and magpies)
start going around in "gangs" of their own, whereas before they have only
travelled in couples, and groups not larger than 6.  Birds which have not
adapted to this urban warfare have been driven away.

	I bring this up after an article on House Finches, because they
have taken over my apartment complex (and my bird feeder).  In the four
plus years that I have been living there, they have gradually driven away
all the other species of birds except hummingbirds (too quick) and pidgeons
(too big).  I think what you are seeing is not so much a migration as an
alteration of the basic bird ecosystem.  This is unfortunate, since it
seems that the more common, plain birds are the ones that will survive.

nosmo@pyuxh.UUCP (P. Valdata) (08/06/85)

Our back yard has a lot of house finches.  We feed them every
winter.
Although they are numerous, they do not seem to compete with
other birds at the feeder, since we also have cardinals,
chickadees, nuthatches, blue jays, white-throated sparrows,
mourning doves, song sparrows, goldfinches, and an occasional
rufous-sided towhee feeding as well.

We also have plenty of birds nesting near us in spring and
summer, so it doesn't appear that they are taking over nest
sites.
--

				Pat Valdata
				pyuxh!nosmo

winkg@vice.UUCP (Wink Gross) (08/10/85)

I thought the deal with house finches ("linnets") is that they are
native to Western N.A. but they were imported to the east coast as
cage birds in the early 20th century.  Some escapees in the NYC area
formed the nucleus of the spreading population now.  I used to
birdwatch in Mass. and remember a time when they weren't there, but
I guess they're sure there now.  My Gabrielson and Jewett says
they've been in Oregon at least since 1877.

				Wink Gross
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, OR

ccrsl@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert S. Lewis Jr.) (08/12/85)

I've noticed that the House Finches are the only birds aggressive enough
to stand their ground when attacked by those notoriously aggressive gangs
of House Sparrows that frequent most people's bird feeders.  Fortunately,
while brave enough to resist the attacks of the larger House Sparrow, the
House Finch seems to feel no need to drive birds of other species away from
the feeder.  Hopefully, the house finch will maintain this admirable behavior
in future generations.

Though the House Finch is native to the Western United States, the variety
that is spreading in the East is not from the West, but from Europe
(maybe Britain, but I'm not sure).  It seems that many of the birds introduced
from Europe are more aggressive than native birds.  Could this be a result
of living for hundreds of years in proximity to another notoriously aggresive
species: a species equally fond of forming noisy, often violent mobs; namely,
one Homo sapiens var. Western?  Hmm....Or is it just that all these species	seem to be first intoduced into New York City.  One certainly can pick up bad
habits there.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the Eastern (European) House Finch
meets-up with the Western variety?  Is the Western House Finch as aggressive?
Or is it more like the somewhat shy Purple Finch?  We should all know in about
ten years.
:w

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/15/85)

My mother wants to clean up some misunderstandings about finches
which have been posted to this net.  (She is an extremely avid and
knowledgable birder.)

House finches and purple finches have already integraded in the
Mendham Township/Morristown (New Jersey) area.  We now have a hard
time finding a true purple finch at the feeders.  These birds
monopolize every perch on the feeders as opposed to titmice,
chickadees, nuthatches, and other birds using the feeders who fly
in, take a sunflower seed, and fly out to crack it open and eat
the kernel.  Because the stupid finches do not move from the
perches, the other more attractive birds are intimidated from using
the feeder.  This may not classify as aggressive behaviour, but it
certainly does take the fun out of watching birds at the backyard
feeder.  The finches have reproduced to the point that they are a
real nuisance, almost in the same league as starlings and grackles!

Does anyone have a solution?

Valentine M. Armstrong

(I shall forward any mail to her)

--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?