[comp.os.msdos.desqview] device.com?

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (05/13/91)

Can someone give me a pointer to information about the device.com program,
dvansi.com, and other utilities in the dv package?  So far I haven't
done the linear search necessary to determine if they're mentioned in the
manual :-(

Are there any 3rd-party indexes to that stupid manual?

<flame on>  Some software packages encourage legal purchases by making
the printed doco. necessary, so that you have to buy it.  Such an approach
won't work for Desqview.... <flame off>

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/15/91)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

>Can someone give me a pointer to information about the device.com program,
>dvansi.com, and other utilities in the dv package?  So far I haven't
>done the linear search necessary to determine if they're mentioned in the
>manual :-(

I was about to enter that very question, with a slightly different spin.
Namely, is it possible to install device drivers on the fly in a DV window?
It almost looks like the DEVICE.COM program is supposed to do that, but
I could never get it to work.

>Are there any 3rd-party indexes to that stupid manual?

I doubt it, but there should be.  DEVICE.COM is *not* mentioned in the manual.
In fact, there are a lot of things on the disk that are not documented
anywhere.  (We should be thankful, right?  Hidden treasure and all that...)

(A good example of this is the DV command line switches, which,
thankfully, are, at least partially, documented by RB in the
DVSWITCH.ZIP file, available from the usual sources...)

><flame on>  Some software packages encourage legal purchases by making
>the printed doco. necessary, so that you have to buy it.  Such an approach
>won't work for Desqview.... <flame off>

True.  I take it what you are saying is that the manual is, for the most
part, useless, and the only way you really learn anything about the
product is by experimentation and exploration...

It would be usefull if someone would enter a detailed description, say
with DIRNOTES, of each of the files in the \DV directory.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)