[comp.os.msdos.desqview] graphics undes DESQview

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) (05/19/91)

Jordan_Melville@mindlink.bc.ca (Jordan Melville) writes:

>One thing to keep in mind, graphical programs are generally a bad idea. If you
>need to use one, it's best to do it without DESQview.

I have made the same experience but always thought this problem does
only arise on my hercules graphics card. Is this really generally true?
I already thought about buying vga to solve this problem, would it
solve it or not?
Klaus Hartnegg, Kleist-Str. 7, D-7835 Teningen, Germany | include standard
Bitnet : hartnegg@dfrruf1 or hartnegg@cernvm            | disclaimer here!
Internet : hartnegg@ibm.ruf.uni-freiburg.de             |

peters@beltrix.UUCP (Peter Sleggs) (05/21/91)

hartnegg@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Klaus Hartnegg) writes:

> Jordan_Melville@mindlink.bc.ca (Jordan Melville) writes:
>
> >One thing to keep in mind, graphical programs are generally a bad idea. If y
> >need to use one, it's best to do it without DESQview.
>
> I have made the same experience but always thought this problem does
> only arise on my hercules graphics card. Is this really generally true?
> I already thought about buying vga to solve this problem, would it
> solve it or not?

Graphics programs are *USUALLY* ok with desqview in my experience IF you
limit the program to standard VGA, any SVGA mode or special card specific
modes can be a problem for the other windows, as DV does not know how to
handle the extended modes

I regularly use CAD programs under DV with no problems but only 640x480 modes
Hercules graphics is a totally different story that I have no experience with
but have been told that DV has problems with knowing the current mode the card
is in as there are no readable registers that have the info.

peter

--
{blister|torag|skypod}!beltrix!peters   or peters@torag.uucp
OR as a last resort lsuc!canrem!peter.sleggs