[comp.os.msdos.desqview] DESQview/X

xor@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Joseph Schwartz) (05/04/91)

So what's the latest news on DESQview/X?  Has anybody seen it yet?
--
Joe Schwartz
Internet: xor@mts.rpi.edu

fetrow@milton.u.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (05/04/91)

In article <6_4gx2.@rpi.edu> xor@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Joseph Schwartz) writes:
>So what's the latest news on DESQview/X?  Has anybody seen it yet?

 It's not the latest news but it sure seemed to be working at the Dallas
Uniforum (A Unix tradeshow) in late January.

 There was Lotus (character mode) running in a window, a few xterms, a flashy
Xdemo or two (xmaze). They were claiming it wasn't a demo and it didn't crash
the 1/2 hour I was looking at it.

--
 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@u.washington.edu

Actually, unix is a very user-friendly system.  Its just that it is
particular about which users it chooses to be friendly with. -The Oracle

amu@einoed.in-berlin.de (Andre Munter) (05/04/91)

I get the information (on the CeBit exhibition in Hannover (Germany)), that
Desqview/X will be released in the III. Quarter of 1991.

Greetings,

   Andre

mau@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Mau Napoleon) (05/06/91)

From article <6_4gx2.@rpi.edu>, by xor@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Joseph Schwartz):
> So what's the latest news on DESQview/X?  Has anybody seen it yet?
> --
> Joe Schwartz
> Internet: xor@mts.rpi.edu
> Bitnet: userez3n@rpitsmts

I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????
If this is true there goes my dream to run X windows on my 386.
Napoleon

johnm@bowen.cc.utas.edu.au (John B. Miezitis) (05/06/91)

mau@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Mau Napoleon) writes:

>I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
>I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????

I to have been tempted by various glossies and have keenly waited for
more information concerning DESQview/X. It was going to be the ANSWER.
But if it really has a $1500 price tag I will have to live in hope for
a while longer. :-(

Patiently waiting. Cheers all.
John B Miezitis University of Tasmania Computing Centre.
email: John.Miezitis@cc.utas.edu.au | Belgium man Belgium!!! - Z. Beeblebrox

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (05/06/91)

Does anyone know if QuarterDeck has an e-mail address?

Thanks,

--
  |||   Pat Alvarado                |
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com

yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4051) (05/06/91)

>I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
>I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????

The latest pricing ffom Quarterdeck that I have is:

Under $300 for the DESQview/X version of DESQview. (ie DESQview 386 is
$200).  So street price somewhere in the range of $150 to $200.

The X-Lib libraries $1,000.
No pricing has been set for Motif, Open Look or XVT.

I personally think that the Library price is to high.

Who is going to the Quarterdeck conference in August?.

Will there need to be a DESQview X Group?

I have no connection with Quarterdeck other than a user of ALL of their
products.

					Bill Yow
					yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

My opinions are my own!
Anything said above may just be insane ramblings! You decide. :->

mau@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Mau Napoleon) (05/06/91)

This is a correction.
I called Quarterdeck again to make sure the price I posted was right.
Well I was wrong.
The price for the development system is $1,000.
According to their literature there are 3 types of X client applications
you can develop.
Real Mode applications.
For these applications you only need a standard DOS compiler.
Protected mode applications.
You can develop 16 bit or 32 bit applications.
For 16 bit you need a standard DOS compiler and a 286 DOS extender.
For 32 bit you need a protected mode DOS compiler and a 386 DOS extender.

The operator I talked to did not know what will be included in the
development system, but if no DOS extender is included then you need
at least a 286 DOS extender, a ~$500 product.

Napoleon

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (05/07/91)

mau@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Mau Napoleon) writes:

>From article <6_4gx2.@rpi.edu>, by xor@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Joseph Schwartz):
>> So what's the latest news on DESQview/X?  Has anybody seen it yet?
>> --
>> Joe Schwartz
>> Internet: xor@mts.rpi.edu
>> Bitnet: userez3n@rpitsmts

>I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
>I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????
                                             >cough! gag, choke!<
>If this is true there goes my dream to run X windows on my 386.

  For that price, you can get UNIX and X Windows themselves running ON
your 386!
  (It's probably what it actually is!)

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4051) writes:

>>I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
>>I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????

>The latest pricing ffom Quarterdeck that I have is:

>Under $300 for the DESQview/X version of DESQview. (ie DESQview 386 is
>$200).  So street price somewhere in the range of $150 to $200.

  That's where some of us might end up if we were to purchase this beast :)

>The X-Lib libraries $1,000.

  I wonder how much technical information is provided. Maybe we can port
them ourselves. Any volunteers??

>No pricing has been set for Motif, Open Look or XVT.

  Do you _really_ want to know?

>I personally think that the Library price is to high.

  See above statements....

>Who is going to the Quarterdeck conference in August?.

  Too far away, >sigh<

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.110453@riddler.Berkeley.EDU>, yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4051) writes:
> Who is going to the Quarterdeck conference in August?.

Where? When?

-dh

pahsnsr@nmt.edu (Paul A. Houle) (05/07/91)

	Yeah,  the people who run software companies are by and large a bunch
of dolts.  A Desqview/X under,  say,  $200 could conceivibly beat even
Microsoft Windows 3.0 as the OS of choice for PC's.  However,  every day means
more copies of Windows are out there (and,  fortunately,  most of them stay
in the box) -- Wouldn't it be great to have a GOOD multitasking system for
MS-DOS that's highly source-code compatible with Unix X-Windows programs?

	Of course - and it could make Quarterdeck the leader in the PC/OS
market.  But,  Nah,  they've all got DP/MIS mentality.  Big companies will
pay anything to link PC's seamlessly into a network.  The little guys can
just go pirate a copy...

--
AngstCon '91 in Socorro, NM -------------------------------------------------
Sometime in the fall of 1991.  Email pahsnsr@jupiter.nmt.edu;  Are you Happy?

theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (George A. Theall) (05/07/91)

In article <245@tdatirv.UUCP> pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) writes:
>Does anyone know if QuarterDeck has an e-mail address?

   One of their techs can be reached as ...!canremote!quarterdeck.canada
on uucp. They're also reachable via Compuserve but I don't have the
address handy.

George
---
theall@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu			Dept. of Economics
theall@ssctemp.sas.upenn.edu			Univ. of Pennsylvania
gtheall@penndrls.upenn.edu			Philadelphia, PA 19104

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (05/07/91)

In article <245@tdatirv.UUCP> pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) writes:
>Does anyone know if QuarterDeck has an e-mail address?

They provide support on Compuserve, though I've never got any useful answers
that way.  Here's an old CIS address from my .mailrc file.  If you send
something this way, don't expect a reply.  They may not know how.

alias quarterdeck 76004.2310@compuserve.com

A much better way to get an answer is to log on to Compuserve, or to connect
up to the Fidonet Desqview echo, if you don't mind wading through tons of
slop to find the good stuff.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May7.133807.14202@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>A much better way to get an answer is to log on to Compuserve, or to connect
>up to the Fidonet Desqview echo, if you don't mind wading through tons of
>slop to find the good stuff.

   "slop" like what?  New users joining the conference and asking,
for the 1e38th time, about DesqView/X?  People arguing over whether
it's FASTOPEN's fault or the optimizer's fault if FASTOPEN doesn't
always reflect the real contents of an optimized disk and insulting
each other's professional credentials over the disagreement?

   It took me months to tire of the Fido DESQVIEW conference,
partly because there is a QuarterDeck agent participating - at
least there was some tech info there.

Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root
602-66 Mooregate Crescent, Kitchener, ON, N2M 5E6 Canada (519)741-9553
"He who claims to know everything can't possibly know much" -me

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (05/08/91)

The one thing that piqued my interest in Desqview/X was the supposed peer-to-
peer capabilities.  Supposedly, you were able to run applications off a
different machine that was running Desqview/X.  I don't care if it does cost
$1k per copy, if I could run applications using other machines that aren't
in use, that's a good enough reason to force everyone to leave their machine
on with the thing up and running.

now if they only come up with a decent way to handle netware logins...

Bob
--
   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       | the sun/ from a war that must

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/08/91)

geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:

>    It took me months to tire of the Fido DESQVIEW conference,
> partly because there is a QuarterDeck agent participating - at
> least there was some tech info there.

It may well benefit folks if some kind soul would work with Peter
Stern or others of the FidoNet DV echo and get it gated to this
newsgroup.

--
          Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

hen3ry@cactus.org (Henry Velick) (05/09/91)

In article <5909@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> mau@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Mau Napoleon) writes:
>From article <6_4gx2.@rpi.edu>, by xor@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Joseph Schwartz):
>> So what's the latest news on DESQview/X?  Has anybody seen it yet?
>
>I called them and I was told August is the new target date.
>I also asked for the price and I was told $1500 ????
>If this is true there goes my dream to run X windows on my 386.
>Napoleon

I saw a demo of DESQView/X at UniForum in January (or thenabouts), was
significantly impressed, and was told its price would be comparable to
that of plain ol' DESQview or D- 386. Somebody was talking through her
or his hat. Maybe 'twas your informant, maybe mine.

I hope it was yours.

-Henry

stern@ims.alaska.edu (Pete Stern) (05/09/91)

> It may well benefit folks if some kind soul would work with Peter
> Stern or others of the FidoNet DV echo and get it gated to this
> newsgroup.

I have nothing to do with administering the Fidonet DESQview echo
however I am planning on getting the entire DVNET (Fidonet DVNet
Desqview File Support Network) file area which is presently around
5.5 megs of programs, uploaded to SIMTEL20. Should begin doing this
around May 13. I will post an message when everything has been
sent.

DVNet is a file distribution network operating within Fidonet. We
have over 100 systems scattered around the world providing free
access to DESQview aware/specific software.

DVNet Headquarters 1:17/38
907-452-1460 HSTV32

The list of participating systems is published monthly on the 4th
in the Desqview echo. The list can be DL from 17/38 in file area
number 21 as DVNet.lst.

Peter Stern		              pstern@f38.n17.z1.fidonet.org
stern@ims.alaska.edu

keves@meaddata.com (Brian Keves) (05/14/91)

In article <kusumoto.673655822@chsun1> kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:
>The one thing that piqued my interest in Desqview/X was the supposed peer-to-
>peer capabilities.  Supposedly, you were able to run applications off a
>different machine that was running Desqview/X.  I don't care if it does cost
>$1k per copy, if I could run applications using other machines that aren't
>in use, that's a good enough reason to force everyone to leave their machine
>on with the thing up and running.
>
>now if they only come up with a decent way to handle netware logins...
>
>Bob
>--
>   Bob Kusumoto                               | I just come from the land of
Bob,

This is what "X" is all about. Let me explain for the PC world.

To display X applications on your console (monitor) you need to have an
X Server running on your local computer. Once you have the X Server running,
you can run an X "Client" application anywhere on your network. As long
as you are running the same release (or compatible releases) the X Client
application shows up on your local display. X is operating system independent.

The best example of this is if you need to do heavy computations on a mainframe
of some sort and you want to display the results on your workstation.

You can also run your X Client application on the local computer. This makes
it handy to still run X applications when you are not on a network.

The main interest in X running under DOS in my company is that you
can run X applications on your Unix systems. You don't have to purchase
workstations for all of your people. They can use all of those old, outdated
and antique computers and still get some work done. Oops, sorry about that.
Don't want to start any religious wars with you PC types.

Brian
--
Brian Keves               | Opinions/Ideas presented |        Mead Data Central
P.O. Box 149              | here are not necessarily |             CASE Support

johnl@gssc.UUCP (John Light) (05/14/91)

To clear up fears of a $1500 Desqview/X:

The runtime will be sold at a price comparable to Desqview.

Network support will be optional.

The Motif environment will be optional.

The Open Look environment will be optional.

The APIs will be optional.

Maybe if you bought everything you could pay $1500, but most people will
pay a couple hundred dollars and be quite happy.

John Light

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (05/14/91)

Brian Keves writes:
>The main interest in X running under DOS in my company is that you
>can run X applications on your Unix systems. You don't have to purchase
>workstations for all of your people. They can use all of those old, outdated
>and antique computers and still get some work done. Oops, sorry about that.
>Don't want to start any religious wars with you PC types.

Question:  what sort of network is required?  For example, will this work by
modem link?  I asked Quarterdeck this at one point, but never got an answer.

Bradley

fetrow@milton.u.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (05/14/91)

In article <1405@ai.cs.utexas.edu> bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) writes:

>Question:  what sort of network is required?  For example, will this work by
>modem link?  I asked Quarterdeck this at one point, but never got an answer.
>
>Bradley

 If the person I talked to knows what he is talking about; it supports the
"packet driver" approach used by FTP. inc. (among others...I believe the
NCSA people use the same spec.) so DesqView/X will be talking to a piece
of driver software from a 3rd party but the spec for the interface is
available and supported by multiple vendors. SLIP is generally among
the supported "devices". On the other hand; 9600 baud Xwindows is not
particuarly pleasant to use.

 This information is little better than rumour level so please don't
take it as Gospel.
--
 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@u.washington.edu

"Follow the orange coax to Bellcore Dorothy!" -- from "The Wizard of Unix"

davidsen@rdsunx.crd.GE.COM (William E Davidsen) (05/15/91)

In article <6651@gssc.UUCP>, johnl@gssc.UUCP (John Light) writes:
|> To clear up fears of a $1500 Desqview/X:
|>
|> The runtime will be sold at a price comparable to Desqview.

  I'm not holding my breath. I sent them a letter saying that I had
about 500 PCs here which we were interested in putting on our net as X
terminals, and they didn't send me any info at all. Then I called and
was told that it wasn't ready for shipping yet.

  Fortunately there are people shipping things now, which are not
remotely as neat, but infinitely more deliverable. All I need is a box
which looks like an X terminal, since the WMs are licensed on hundreds
of our other machines here.

|> Network support will be optional.
|>
|> The Motif environment will be optional.
|>
|> The Open Look environment will be optional.

  Is delivery of a product optional, too?

keves@meaddata.com (Brian Keves) (05/21/91)

In article <1405@ai.cs.utexas.edu> bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) writes:
>Brian Keves writes:
>>The main interest in X running under DOS in my company is that you
>>can run X applications on your Unix systems. You don't have to purchase
>>workstations for all of your people. They can use all of those old, outdated
>>and antique computers and still get some work done. Oops, sorry about that.
>>Don't want to start any religious wars with you PC types.
>
>Question:  what sort of network is required?  For example, will this work by
>modem link?  I asked Quarterdeck this at one point, but never got an answer.

Many of the X on DOS products support the major networks, like PC/NFS (SUN),
PC/TCP (FTP), Wollagong, White Sides (sp?), etc...

In a developer's document that Quarterdeck published last year
concerning DESQview/X, they support FTP PC/TCP or Novell only. It also
indicated that the network support was a separate product from
DESQview/X. Reference: DESQview/X; Extending DOS into the 21st Century;
A Technical Perspective.

This support seems pitiful, since PC/XView 16 from GSS supports around
50 networking solutions, including SLIP, all bundled with their base
product.

Any comment from Quarterdeck.

Brian
--

john@pyrnj.uucp (John Kurzman) (05/24/91)

In article <4446@meaddata.meaddata.com> keves@meaddata.com (Brian Keves) writes:
>This support seems pitiful, since PC/XView 16 from GSS supports around
>50 networking solutions, including SLIP, all bundled with their base
>product.

From what I was told by Quarterdeck last week, DESQview/X uses GSS
internally, and that any networking solution supported by GSS will
be supported by DESQview/X.   This would imply SLIP support assuming
DESQview/X does not have strict time-out restrictions due to the slow
link.

What I'm wondering now is if DESQview/X will co-exist with PC-NFS
concurrently using the same ethernet card. Quite some time ago when
I researched GSS's original product, there was not much of an overlap
of PC-NFS capable boards and GSS capable boards, but I'm sure that's
improved by now.  But concurrently? (Maybe both going through FTP's
PC/TCP?).

Also, does anyone know of a single vendor who offers all the
pre-requisites for DESQview/X such as ethernet software and hardware?
Most suppliers of ethernet software I've seen offer only software, and
most hardware suppliers offer the cards with only Novell or Arcnet, rather
than TCP/IP. A single supplier of DESQview/X, TCP/IP software, an NFS
and a DESQview/X capable ethernet card would be desirable.