[comp.os.msdos.desqview] QEMM - PC-Cache conflict

roy@shark.cs.fau.edu (Roy Levow) (05/23/91)

I recently installed an IN-2000 SCSI controller on my Zeos 386 and ran
into a couple of strange problems.  I had been using QEMM 5.0 (RAM ROM
DISKBUF=6) and PCTools PC-Cache.  When I completed the installation of
the new controller, I experienced an enormous amount of disk activity,
slowing any disk I/O substantially.  The problem disappeared when I
removed either QEMM or PC-Cache.  Fiddling with the parameters revealed
that the culprit was the DISKBUF parameter on QEMM.  Took it away and
everything is fine.  Does anyone have any idea why?

Just curious now.

jpl1@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jean P. Legrand) (05/24/91)

roy@shark.cs.fau.edu (Roy Levow) writes:

>I recently installed an IN-2000 SCSI controller on my Zeos 386 and ran
>into a couple of strange problems.  I had been using QEMM 5.0 (RAM ROM
>DISKBUF=6) and PCTools PC-Cache.  When I completed the installation of
>the new controller, I experienced an enormous amount of disk activity,
>slowing any disk I/O substantially.  The problem disappeared when I
>removed either QEMM or PC-Cache.  Fiddling with the parameters revealed
>that the culprit was the DISKBUF parameter on QEMM.  Took it away and
>everything is fine.  Does anyone have any idea why?

No.  However, have you tried Hyperdisk (which is available by ftp)  It
seems to be more reliable and faster than either pc-cache and norton's
ncache.
--
John Patrick Lestrade, PhD
Department of Physics and Astronomy