[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Why must Windows be loaded first under DV?

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (05/24/91)

In order to start up DOS applications after I have opened
Windows under DV, I have to open Windows first.  If I open
some other application and THEN open Windows I cannot open
further applications because DV cannot find my -pif.dvp files.
It comes up with the error message 'Missing (or bad) DESQview
file:  NB-PIF.DVP'.

My .dvp files are in c:\dv.  I tried putting one in the directory
where its application resided but DV still couldn't find it.
I tried changing directories to c:\dv before I entered 'dv' to
start up DV, but that made no difference.  I also tried a few
other things like reading through my win.ini file for clues and
removing smartdrv from my config.sys.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this!

System info:

386 w/4 Megs
DOS 4.01
DV 2.31
QEMM 5.11
Windows 3.0 Standard Mode (it does the same thing in Real Mode too)

Here's my config.sys file:

DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM NRH FR=C800
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.SYS 256/A
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:2 C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.SYS
INSTALL=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.COM /TSR /R:2 C:\UTILS\SCRENUTL\PCKSCRN.COM
INSTALL=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.COM /TSR /R:2 C:\DOS\SHARE.EXE
BUFFERS=20/x
FILES=20
STACKS=0,0
BREAK=ON

and my autoexec.bat file:

@ECHO OFF
SET COMSPEC=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET SOUND=C:\SB
PATH C:\;C:\QEMM;C:\DV;C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\UTILS
PROMPT $P$G
mode con: rate=32 delay=1

Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@magnus.  \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 acs.ohio-state.  \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (05/25/91)

  This won't help YOUR particular problems with Windows, but you may
find you'll benefit from the following suggestions:

  Reduce your buffers to one, and use the BUFFERS program (run it from
AUTOEXEC) to stuff the remaining required buffers into high RAM.

  Reduce your files to whatever point Windows WON'T run (for me, with
Pagemake 3.0/Run-time Windows - that point was 15 buffers), add one,
relocate the rest to high RAM with the FILES/AUTOEXEC suggestion.

  Knock that 'c:\dv' OUT of your default path, since Desqview appends
it to your path anyways, when you invoke desqview.

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (05/28/91)

I wrote:

>In order to start up DOS applications after I have opened
>Windows under DV, I have to open Windows first.  If I open
>some other application and THEN open Windows I cannot open
>further applications because DV cannot find my -pif.dvp files.
>It comes up with the error message 'Missing (or bad) DESQview
>file:  NB-PIF.DVP'.

The problem was solved when I changed my 'files=20' to 'files=30'
in my config.sys file.  For some reason Windows must grab all those
first 20 for itself leaving Desqview with no more room for finding
any files (??).

Thanks to Charlie Kestner (chaz@chinet.chi.il.us) for his help.

SS

Stephen.M.Smith@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Stephen M Smith) (05/28/91)

I wrote:

>In order to start up DOS applications after I have opened
>Windows under DV, I have to open Windows first.  If I open
>some other application and THEN open Windows I cannot open
>further applications because DV cannot find my -pif.dvp files.
>It comes up with the error message 'Missing (or bad) DESQview
>file:  NB-PIF.DVP'.

The problem was solved when I changed my 'files=20' to 'files=30'
in my config.sys file.  For some reason Windows must grab all those
first 20 for itself leaving Desqview with no more room for finding
any files (??).

Thanks to Charlie Kestner (chaz@chinet.chi.il.us) for his help.

SS

 * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)