[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Kermit under DV

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (05/30/91)

-Unknown-@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (-Unknown-) writes:

Hmm..

 > Has anyone tried using Kermit 3.01 with DESQview? [....
 > ...] The problem seems to be with the serial port.
 > It appears that only about 1/2 of the characters
 > make it back. Could this mean that Kermit is ingoring
 > the COM port when its not Kermits slice?

Probably not.  I don't know exactly how Kermit operates internally,
but "missing characters" is a symptom of a *lot* of interrupt
latency and Kermit's ISR isn't servicing the serial port fast
enough, or it may be that Kermit operates in "polling mode",
using the BIOS INT 14H instead, which would definitely explain
things.

 >Telix and Procomm have no problems with running under DV at
 > all, unlike Kermit. I would greatly appreciate any help on th
 >e matter.

Well, it looks less like an ISR problem, though a poorly written
ISR will result in much the same thing.  If it uses INT 14H
calls, you could improve things considerably by obtaining a
FOSSIL driver, since these replace the standard INT 14H
functions and provide a compatible interface, with interrupt
driven internals.

david

--
 David Nugent                                      Unique Computing Pty Limited
 Communications/PC/Unix Consulting           3:632/348@fidonet 28:4100/1@signet