[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Desqview conflict with MKS's VI editor

kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) (06/03/91)

  I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
  Symptoms:
    When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
screen to the rhythm of the beeps.

  My attempts:
     I have tried every option I could think of, including the keyboard
conflict numbers etc, but no luck.  VI will not run in Big Dos, nor in any
type of virtual window etc.  The results are always identical.

  I have have tried a couple shareware VI editors, but they are either too
slow, or too small.

  Anyone out there have any suggestions?

-Kevin

--
	Kevin Stokes
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	kds@phy.duke.edu

karl@anasaz.UUCP (Karl Dussik) (06/04/91)

In article <22345@duke.cs.duke.edu> kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) writes:

>  I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
>the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
>  Symptoms:
>    When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
>starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
>screen to the rhythm of the beeps.
>
>  My attempts:
>     I have tried every option I could think of, including the keyboard
>conflict numbers etc, but no luck.  VI will not run in Big Dos, nor in any
>type of virtual window etc.  The results are always identical.
>
>  Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Here is the set-up for the DOS shell I run VI out of:

                               Change a Program

 Program Name............: vi

 Keys to Use on Open Menu: VI                         Memory Size (in K): 256
 Program...:

 Parameters:

 Directory.: d:\ui\edl
                  Writes text directly to screen.......: [N]
                  Displays graphics information........: [N]
                  Virtualize text/graphics (Y,N,T).....: [N]
                  Uses serial ports (Y,N,1,2)..........: [N]
                  Requires floppy diskette.............: [N]

                      Change a Program Advanced Options

 System Memory (in K).......:   0   Maximum Program Memory Size (in K)..:

 Script Buffer Size.......:  1000   Maximum Expanded Memory Size (in K):

 Text Pages: 1  Graphics Pages: 0   Initial Mode:        Interrupts: 00 to FF
 Window Position:
    Maximum Height:  25       Starting Height:           Starting Row...:
    Maximum Width.:  80       Starting Width.:           Starting Column:
                                Shared Program
 Pathname..:
 Data......:
 Close on exit (Y,N,blank)......: [Y]  Uses its own colors..............: [N]
 Allow Close Window command.....: [Y]  Runs in background (Y,N,blank)...: [ ]
 Uses math coprocessor..........: [Y]  Keyboard conflict (0-F)..........: [0]
 Share CPU when foreground......: [Y]  Share EGA when foreground/zoomed.: [Y]
 Can be swapped out (Y,N,blank).: [ ]  Protection level (0-3)...........: [0]

The IMPORTANT parameter appears to be the
                  Virtualize text/graphics (Y,N,T).....: [N]
All my other windows have this set to [Y] and none run VI.  On the other
hand, lots of things (including BRIEF, my favorite editor anywhere) don't
work in the VI window.

Good luck,

Karl

jameson@jade.uucp (Kevin Jameson) (06/04/91)

I think it is worth restating a previous comment: The **IMPORTANT**
parameter seems to be Virtualize Text/Graphics.

I couldn't get Microsoft 6.0 Quickhelp running until I finally hit on a
combination that turned Virtualization off.  In my opinion, Desqview
doesn't have very good manuals, and doesn't do a very good job of
explaining the parameters.  One would never guess from the documentation
that the virtualization parameter was more important than the Writes
Direct to Screen option...

paul@mks.com (Paul Steinbach) (06/04/91)

In article <22345@duke.cs.duke.edu> kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) writes:
>  I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
>the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
>  Symptoms:
>    When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
>starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
>screen to the rhythm of the beeps.
> ...[description deleted for brevity]
>
>  Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Since a number of other people have also encountered this problem, I
thought I would post to the net.

There are two options in the Desqview "Change a Program" menu that must be
set to the following values:

	Writes text directly to screen....: N
	Virtualize text/graphics (Y,N,T)..: N

The vi editor should work correctly with these settings.

-- Paul

--
     ||  // // ,'/~~\'   Paul Steinbach                   paul@mks.com
    /||/// //|' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.        519-884-2251
   / | //_// ||\___/     35 King St. N., Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2J 2W9
O_/