[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Communication programs

dvldbg@cs.umu.se (Daniel Brahneborg) (05/19/91)

I read somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't let com-progs be
swapped out. Is there any workaround for this? The problem is
that I am using Reflection 4, which is very good, even though it
is a quite big. It would be VERY nice if I could run
Refl. from DV, together with my editor (Sage), and a few other things.
But when I start Refl, and try to get back to DV, it just says that
'a non-swappable window in in the way'. So, is there any way I can
make this work? If I have to get another com-prog, that's OK.
As long as I have complete vt220-compatibility, I'm happy.

Don't suggest the com-prog in MS-Windows. I hate MS-Windows.
Besides it doesn't know half of the keys on a VT-keyboard.
Bying a 386 might also be a good advice, if I've had the money.
Besides, if I had, I would propably buy an Amiga 3000.
Now I have a 286, with 1 Mb memory. Would more memory do it?
(Expanded or extended, I never seem to remember the difference.)

I also tried opening two Basic-windows. Very cute, if the could only
run at the same time. Now it just says 'Swapping', and stops the first
one when I click on the second. Very annoying. So, what is happening
here? I tought that DV could multitask, even if you didn't have a 386.
PLEASE tell me it can!

/Basic

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\ When hacking     : Basic             /\                                    /
/ In the real world: Daniel Brahneborg \/   This space was unintentionally   \
\ On Internet      : dvldbg@cs.umu.se  /\             left blank.            /
/                                      \/                                    \
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.113245.19970@cs.umu.se>, dvldbg@cs.umu.se (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:
> I read somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't let com-progs be
> swapped out. Is there any workaround for this? The problem is
> that I am using Reflection 4, which is very good, even though it
> is a quite big. It would be VERY nice if I could run
> Refl. from DV, together with my editor (Sage), and a few other things.
> But when I start Refl, and try to get back to DV, it just says that
> 'a non-swappable window in in the way'. So, is there any way I can
> make this work? If I have to get another com-prog, that's OK.
> As long as I have complete vt220-compatibility, I'm happy.

MS Kermit can be run in a 200K window. Plus it's DV-aware and has
the best VT emulation I've ever seen.

> Now I have a 286, with 1 Mb memory. Would more memory do it?
> (Expanded or extended, I never seem to remember the difference.)

With multitasking, more is always better. Especially more memory.
I'm currently running a 386 with 13M of RAM (plenty of room for
apps plus a 2M cache). 4M provides an adequate environment for my
needs (but a lot of that is large memory windows

> I also tried opening two Basic-windows. Very cute, if the could only
> run at the same time. Now it just says 'Swapping', and stops the first
> one when I click on the second. Very annoying. So, what is happening
> here? I tought that DV could multitask, even if you didn't have a 386.
> PLEASE tell me it can!

You're runing short on memory. I don't use Basic myself, but you
may want to see if you can shrink down the memory allocated (go
into Open window/Change Program and select your basic entry and
diddle with the memory allocated.

-dh

--
Don Hosek                  | To retrieve files from ymir via the mailserver,
dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu  | send a message to mailserv@ymir.claremont.edu

ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.113245.19970@cs.umu.se> dvldbg@cs.umu.se (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:
}I read somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't let com-progs be
}swapped out. Is there any workaround for this? The problem is

Not unless you want your system to crash the next time a character comes in
the serial port after the program has been swapped out.

}Now I have a 286, with 1 Mb memory. Would more memory do it?
}(Expanded or extended, I never seem to remember the difference.)

You would need an expansion board which supports *hardware* EEMS or EMS4 and
can backfill the low 640K with mappable memory.  In addition, you would need
to disable as much motherboard memory as possible to give you a large
mappable area for multitasking.  Unfortunately, most 286 machines now won't
boot with less than 512K on the motherboard, which would limit you to one
500+K partition and multiple 128K or 192K (if no EGA/VGA) partitions.
Besides, the cost of such an upgrade is pretty close to the cost of a 386SX
motherboard....

You will want to get a much smaller comm program.  My own RBcomm (available
on SIMTEL20) will run in 65K with file transfers or as little as 45K without,
and provides full VT10x support plus partial VT2xx support.  That may be
sufficient for your needs.  It's also DESQview-aware.

}I also tried opening two Basic-windows. Very cute, if the could only
}run at the same time. Now it just says 'Swapping', and stops the first
}one when I click on the second. Very annoying. So, what is happening
}here? I tought that DV could multitask, even if you didn't have a 386.

Sure it can, but you are limited to a TOTAL of about 500K worth of programs
on less than a 386 unless you have the above-mentioned hardware EMS4.  So
if the BASIC window is set to more than half of the "total available"
conventional memory listed by the memory status program, DV will have to
kick one out of memory in order to load a second.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/53
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CARNEGIE   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (05/21/91)

  I've got ProComm Plus (old version) sitting in 160k. You can't bring
up editors or setup (but how often do you do that?). I bring up DSZ in
a separate window of about 65k to do file transfers, then close the
ProComm one. This must be done anyway, because DSZ captures the interrupts
and disables them on its way out, leaving ProComm dead. The same could
happen to DSZ if you were to bring up another comm program.
  I know, the manual claims it will disrupt communications, crash the machine,
and bring in lawsuits from the FCC (and all those other nasty things), but
I've been doing it for years without trouble. Just make sure one is finished
before the other begins, or get more memory (or better machine >sigh<)

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  ericb@eecs.cs.pdx.edu     |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (05/21/91)

> In article <1991May19.113245.19970@cs.umu.se> dvldbg@cs.umu.se (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:
>
> }I read somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't let com-progs be
> }swapped out. Is there any workaround for this? The problem is
>
> Not unless you want your system to crash the next time a character comes
> in the serial port after the program has been swapped out.

This shouldn't be the case.  DV revectors the IRQ and manages the hardware
interrupts.  I can't believe that it wouldn't also know which particular
task "owns" an IRQ vector and has enough intelligence to know that a task
is swapped or not.

In fact, that statement is contrary to my direct experience.  When DV sees
that a particular task owns an IRQ, it tends not to allow swapping of the
program at all.

I could be wrong, since I've never investigated it in any depth, but those
are the assumptions I've made by direct experience.
--
 David Nugent                                      Unique Computing Pty Limited
 Communications/PC/Unix Consulting           3:632/348@fidonet 28:4100/1@signet

mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Michael Squires) (05/21/91)

In article <1880@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:

>This shouldn't be the case.  DV revectors the IRQ and manages the hardware
>interrupts.  I can't believe that it wouldn't also know which particular
>task "owns" an IRQ vector and has enough intelligence to know that a task
>is swapped or not.

The received wisdom from Clarkson on using NCSA or CUTCP Telnet with the
Clarkson packet drivers is that (1) the packet driver must be loaded in
the session that runs Telnet (not before DesqVIEW starts) and that the
session must be non-swappable.

There is a note packed with the packet drivers that describes the installation
of NCSA Telnet + packet drivers under DesqVIEW, at least in the v8.0 version.

I did drop back to the v7.0 packet drivers as the v8.0 WD8003E driver tries
to run in 80[123]6 mode, and that seemed to cause trouble.  The v7 packet
driver did not.  There's probably a switch to turn off that feature, but
it was not immedidately obvious.

--

Mike Squires (mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)     812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

blaise@kira.UUCP (Christopher Blaise) (05/24/91)

>> I read somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't let com-progs be
>> swapped out. Is there any workaround for this? The problem is

	Is this why when I swap out of PCPLUS either one of two things happen
:

a) I can't get back in (program is somehow corrupt-  have to close the telecom
window and open again)
b) (esp. during transfers) at some random time, the WHOOOLE system crashes (actually, it only seems to happen with Qedit..?)

Any comments would be appreciated :)

Thanks

 Christopher Blaise - blaise@emily.uvm.edu   "I just wanna be loved...
 ]]]]]]]]]]]]]   Fido: 1:325/107	      is that so WRONG?!"

efb@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL (Everett F Batey) (06/05/91)

In article <1880@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:
>> In article <1991May19.113245.19970@cs.umu.se> dvldbg@cs.umu.se (Daniel Brahneborg) writes:
>> Not unless you want your system to crash the next time a character comes
>This shouldn't be the case.  DV revectors the IRQ and manages the hardware

What I want to know is what happens if you try to share ( and how do you share
IRQs .. hear it is done under DOS ) does DV know to handle the say WAFFLE which
is FOSSIL-wise and suppose ka9q tcp/ip using COMM3 or COMM4 for ka9q's radio
modem, which ka9q seems not to be FOSSIL smart.

Has anyone an idea if I can throw enough RAM ( without unix ) to handle this
bizarre a configuration.

Any tips will be appreciated.  /Ev/
--
 +  efb@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL  efb@gcpacix.uucp  efb@gcpacix.cotdazr.org +