[comp.os.msdos.desqview] vi under Desqview -- is it possible?

anderson@mips2.ma30.bull.com (Dave Anderson) (06/03/91)

>   I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
> the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
>   Symptoms:
>     When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
> starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
> screen to the rhythm of the beeps.

>   My attempts:
>      I have tried every option I could think of, including the keyboard
> conflict numbers etc, but no luck.  VI will not run in Big Dos, nor in any
> type of virtual window etc.  The results are always identical.

    Maybe we should create a support group here.  I got Desqview a few
  weeks ago and had precisely the same problem.  I tried MKS vi, as well
  as "calvin" (another freeware vi-clone) -- both by themselves, as well
  as from Big DOS.  I eventually gave up trying, and for that reason never
  use Desqview.  (What good is it if you can't bring up a simple editor?)
  Windows 3.0 handles vi with no problem.

  I thought perhaps I also just wasn't setting the magic Desqview parameters
  for vi, but now I wonder if _anybody_ out there has configured it correctly?
  Help us out, somebody...

  Dave Anderson
  Bull HN Information Systems       anderson@mips2.ma30.bull.com
  300 Concord Road - MA30-850A
  Billerica, MA 01821               508-294-3253

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (06/03/91)

anderson@mips2.ma30.bull.com (Dave Anderson) writes:

[...]

>>     When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
>> starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
>> screen to the rhythm of the beeps.
>
>>   My attempts:
>>      I have tried every option I could think of, including the keyboard
>> conflict numbers etc, but no luck.  VI will not run in Big Dos, nor in any
>> type of virtual window etc.  The results are always identical.
>
>    Maybe we should create a support group here.  I got Desqview a few
>  weeks ago and had precisely the same problem.  I tried MKS vi, as well
>  as "calvin" (another freeware vi-clone) -- both by themselves, as well
>  as from Big DOS.  I eventually gave up trying, and for that reason never
>  use Desqview.  (What good is it if you can't bring up a simple editor?)
>  Windows 3.0 handles vi with no problem.

I have run Elvis 1.4 in dv with very little trouble. The only thing to watch
out for is to be sure you run dvansi.com before running the editor. I also
use the environment variable "set term = ansi" and use ansi.sys for the
boot dos.
--
Karl Buck 				email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu
Kansas State University		        Phone: 913.532.6750

feg@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (forrest.e.gehrke) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.153008.20350@mips2.ma30.bull.com> anderson@mips2.ma30.bull.com (Dave Anderson) writes:
>>   I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
>> the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
>>   Symptoms:
>>     When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
>> starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
>> screen to the rhythm of the beeps.
>
>>   My attempts:
>>      I have tried every option I could think of, including the keyboard
>> conflict numbers etc, but no luck.  VI will not run in Big Dos, nor in any
>> type of virtual window etc.  The results are always identical.
>
>    Maybe we should create a support group here.  I got Desqview a few
>  weeks ago and had precisely the same problem.  I tried MKS vi, as well
>  as "calvin" (another freeware vi-clone) -- both by themselves, as well
>  as from Big DOS.  I eventually gave up trying, and for that reason never
>  use Desqview.  (What good is it if you can't bring up a simple editor?)
>  Windows 3.0 handles vi with no problem.
>
>  I thought perhaps I also just wasn't setting the magic Desqview parameters
>  for vi, but now I wonder if _anybody_ out there has configured it correctly?
>  Help us out, somebody...

Although I have Desqview and several versions of VI, including the
MKS version, I never got around to trying them together.  I will
now.  Until then, Quarterdeck has a BBS and they are very good
about answering application questions to messages left on their
board.  The phone number is 213-396-3904.  The board responds
to any bps rate.

Forrest Gehrke feg\@dodger.att.com

wg@cbnewsm.att.com (Bill Gieske) (06/04/91)

MKS vi does work under Desqview.  It's been 6 months since I set up the
Desqview window for this, so I do not remember what settings I used (I'll
check tonight and follow-up with specifics.  In general, the settings on
screen 2 (I think) regarding how the screen is accessed are what must be
set correctly.  I usually run vi under ksh rather than DOS because I have
an exinit variable pointing to an exrc file on a RAM disk containing vi
commands (set tab stop, no case distinction, shift width, ...).  Invoking
vi directly looses this, and this does not work if vi is invoked from DOS.
But, vi can be invoked in this manner as well.  IT DOES WORK!

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (06/05/91)

When I had this problem with the MKS vi, I called Mortice Kern Systems.
They informed me that I must set "virtualize text and graphics" to No.
I use vi regularly under DESQview (my primary editor, and one of my
default startup windows).

rudy@cbnewsj.att.com (avram.r.vener) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun3.153008.20350@mips2.ma30.bull.com> anderson@mips2.ma30.bull.com (Dave Anderson) writes:
>>   I have recently purchased Desqview, and I am pleased with it except for
>> the fact that my favorite editor will not run under Desqview in any way.
>>   Symptoms:
>>     When VI attempts to run, the screen is blanked, and then the console
>> starts beeping relentlessly as the cursor marches majestically across the
>> screen to the rhythm of the beeps.

   [ stuff deleted ]
>    Maybe we should create a support group here.  I got Desqview a few
>  weeks ago and had precisely the same problem.  I tried MKS vi, as well
>  as "calvin" (another freeware vi-clone) -- both by themselves, as well
>  as from Big DOS.  I eventually gave up trying, and for that reason never
>  use Desqview.  (What good is it if you can't bring up a simple editor?)
>  Windows 3.0 handles vi with no problem.
>
>  I thought perhaps I also just wasn't setting the magic Desqview parameters
>  for vi, but now I wonder if _anybody_ out there has configured it correctly?
>  Help us out, somebody...

I have no problem running vi.  I always do it from a Big Dos window. The only
problem I recall having is a 'nglob' error if I tried to call vi from one of my
extended disks logical drives.  Installing a /tmp directory in every logical
drive fixed that problem.

--
Rudy Vener  AT&T BTL  uucp: att!mtqua!rudy  internet: rudy@mtqua.att.com

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (06/07/91)

Even though I don't use vi myself, I have helped a friend seting-up
his system. He uses elvis under DesqView. It is running like a charm.

Thought this might be of interest.

--Naji.
P.S. elvis is availble in the editor directory of simtel.
    | Naji Mouawad  |          nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu            |
    |  University   |---------------------------------------------------|
    | Of Waterloo   |   "The Stranger in us is our most familiar Self"  |

anicolao@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Alex Nicolaou) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.021549.9505@cbnewsj.att.com> rudy@cbnewsj.att.com (avram.r.vener) writes:
>I have no problem running vi.  I always do it from a Big Dos window. The only
>problem I recall having is a 'nglob' error if I tried to call vi from one of my
>extended disks logical drives.  Installing a /tmp directory in every logical
>Rudy Vener  AT&T BTL  uucp: att!mtqua!rudy  internet: rudy@mtqua.att.com
 ** If you are using MKS vi, you should find that setting an environment variable
with a drive name and path to your real tmp directory will fix your problem, without
all the ugly directories all over the place.

No promises - I haven't tried it.

alex