[comp.os.msdos.desqview] DesqView/X and SuperVGA supports....

cs@tschil.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Claus Schiffler) (06/07/91)

Minghsun.Liu@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Minghsun Liu) writes:

>How about SuperVGA supports in DesqView/X?  Any mention of that by
>Quarterdeck?  I certainly hope they will somehow find a way to support
>those higher res modes because running multiple X windows on a standard
>VGA screen can be quite a pain.

>Minghsun Liu
><mingliu@athena.mit.edu>

> * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)

In the magazine, published by Quaterdeck U.K. and available at the
CEBIT in Hannover, there is mentioned,
that DESQview/X is based on the GSS X-Server (they develop PC-Xview).
(PC-Xview supports all video cards based on the following video controllers:
 ET4000, ET3000, ATI, Paradise, ... in SuperVGA resolution)
The author of this article also mentioned, that DESQview/X will problably
support the TIGA interface.
However, it would be nice to know the definite date, when DESQview/X
will be available with or without SuperVGA support.

sisu@ux5.lbl.gov (judy stirkkinen) (06/08/91)

In article <cs.676290004@tschil> cs@tschil.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Claus Schiffler) writes:
>Minghsun.Liu@sunbrk.FidoNet.Org (Minghsun Liu) writes:
>

>>How about SuperVGA supports in DesqView/X?  Any mention of that by
>>Quarterdeck?  I certainly hope they will somehow find a way to support
>>those higher res modes because running multiple X windows on a standard
>>VGA screen can be quite a pain.
>
>>Minghsun Liu
>><mingliu@athena.mit.edu>
>
>> * Origin: Seaeast - Fidonet<->Usenet Gateway - sunbrk (1:343/15.0)
>
>In the magazine, published by Quaterdeck U.K. and available at the
>CEBIT in Hannover, there is mentioned,
>that DESQview/X is based on the GSS X-Server (they develop PC-Xview).
>(PC-Xview supports all video cards based on the following video controllers:
> ET4000, ET3000, ATI, Paradise, ... in SuperVGA resolution)
>The author of this article also mentioned, that DESQview/X will problably
>support the TIGA interface.
>However, it would be nice to know the definite date, when DESQview/X
>will be available with or without SuperVGA support.

From the betas (alphas?) that I've seen of Desqview/X, no special driver is
needed  -- you supply it with the SVGA mode number of the mode you wish to
run under, and it works.  Looks really good, too. I suppose they will HAVE to
supply drivers eventually, since working through the bios would tend to be
slow...