[comp.os.msdos.desqview] QEMM with STATISTICS SFTWR

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) (06/07/91)

I have been using qemm and dv for some time now and am quite familiar
with the range of tweaking that is necessary to get things to work
properly. These are versions 5.11 and 2.31 on a 386 (upgrades to these
are on the way) and everything works flawlessly with the exception
that I cannot get either CSS:Statistica nor Systat to work at all
under qemm, let alone under dv.  These are quite powerful statistical
analyis programs. I am tired off rebooting to bare DOS in order to run
either one of these programs. Does anyone have any experience or
suggestions as to how I might get qemm to cooperate with these
programs? The customer support people at both CSS and at Systat have
no suggestions to offer and I have had little success in the past with
Quarterdeck either by phone or by Compuserve. Desqview users, however,
have been a goldmine of good knowledge with the few problems I had in
the ancient past.

Ted Grusec    Communications Research Centre    (Govt. of Canada, DOC)
 3701 Carling Ave., Ottawa, Ont.K2H 8S2, CANADA  Internet: ted@dgbt.doc.ca
  Compuserve: 73607,1576  (613) 998 2762   Fax (613) 993 8657

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/09/91)

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) writes:
>I have been using qemm and dv for some time now and am quite familiar
>with the range of tweaking that is necessary to get things to work
>properly. These are versions 5.11 and 2.31 on a 386 (upgrades to these
>are on the way) and everything works flawlessly with the exception
>that I cannot get either CSS:Statistica nor Systat to work at all
>under qemm, let alone under dv.  [rest deleted]

If these are compiled CLIPPER programs the following excerpt from
SIMTEL35.DOC may offer a solution.

EXTENDED/EXPANDED MEMORY

     One user reported problems running this program on his
machines that had large amounts of memory (over 2 MB).  I have
found from perusing the local Clipper/dBASE BBSs, that Clipper
sometimes has trouble utilizing this extra memory.  Normally,
Clipper code will detect and then use this extra memory for
indexing operations only.  Yet many developers seem to be having
problems with this.
     The common suggestion that seems to be floating around is to
issue the command SET CLIPPER=E000.  This tells Clipper programs
to ignore any extra memory over and above 640 K.

[end quote]

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]