[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Please help!

amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) (06/11/91)

   A beginner's question

I just bought a 80386, 4M system. i am planning to buy softwares like
Disqview so that i could run several application programs at the same
time and also write application programs (in fortran & c) which will
need more than 640K. i don't have an expanded memory manager. Now
my question is: do i need to buy  both DV & QEMM or both of them come
together or what? can some kind soul explain whether
i need both or not?

                thanks a lot.

                            amitava@ecn.purdue.edu

bradley@cs.utexas.edu (Bradley L. Richards) (06/11/91)

amitava@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Amitava Das) writes:
>I just bought a 80386, 4M system. i am planning to buy softwares like
>Disqview so that i could run several application programs at the same
>time and also write application programs (in fortran & c) which will
>need more than 640K.  i don't have an expanded memory manager. Now
>my question is: do i need to buy  both DV & QEMM or both of them come
>together or what? can some kind soul explain whether
>i need both or not?

Since you have an 80386, you should buy DESQView/386.  This includes both
DESQView and QEMM386 (and you need both).

DESQView does allow you to run several application programs at the same time,
but it will not help you write application programs which will use more than
640k.  To do that, as I understand it, you need a compiler that will produce
386 code, and a DOS extender (like PharLap) that will let a true 386 program
run under DOS.  (Corrections from someone who's actually written native 386
programs would be welcome).

Bradley