[comp.os.msdos.desqview] EEMS

cornet@duteca.et.tudelft.nl (Jan-Pieter Cornet) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun05.092134.18683@xenitec.on.ca> geoffw@xenitec.on.ca (Geoffrey Welsh) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.021835.24916@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>>3  I guess that I want true multitasking.  Will DESQview do it?
>
>   On a 386 (or 486, or 386SX or even a 286 with *hardware*
>EEMS support - though the 286 is subject to the limitations
>of slightly smaller windows in most cases), yes.

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but the term EEMS keeps coming
up (it's all over the DESQview manual) and I don't know what it is.
I have a 286 with *hardware* LIM EMS 4 support (Tandon Target) is this
by any chance the same as EEMS ??

And hopefully someone with lots of Tandon hardware knowlegde can answer
this one too:
When I add memory to my system, will it be available as EMS 4 memory too?
I currently have 384K of extended/EMS memory, the `Tandon' way to expand
memory is using a piggyback board close to the main memory, but this
piggyback board is *expensive* (dfl 500,- or about $300 here in Holland)
An everex board is much cheaper. Will this work too? (If it works at
all)

And one final question, which I do not suppose gets answered, but anyway:
I know my machine has all the hardware functionality that QEMM needs,
but sadly enough QEMM doesn't know how to handle this hardware, is there
possibly a fixup for this, say, a TEMM which is just as good as QEMM
available??

Thanks,
-- Jan-Pieter
cornet@duteca.et.tudelft.nl