[comp.os.msdos.desqview] How to revive mouse in a DOS window?

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (06/12/91)

When I invoke a program that uses the mouse while in a DOS
window (such as Big DOS), after I exit I cannot use my mouse
anymore; that is, I can't call up the Desqview Menu by using
the {Desq} buttons on my mouse.  I have a two-button MS Mouse,
and to call up the menu I just hit both simultaneously.

I've tried the 'Revive Mouse' under Rearrange/Tune Performance
but it never helps.  I have to completely close the window and
restart Big DOS to get my mouse back.

Any suggestions?

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@magnus.  \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 acs.ohio-state.  \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

stern@ims.alaska.edu (Pete Stern) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.210514.862@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) writes:
> When I invoke a program that uses the mouse while in a DOS
> window (such as Big DOS), after I exit I cannot use my mouse
> anymore; that is, I can't call up the Desqview Menu by using
> the {Desq} buttons on my mouse.  I have a two-button MS Mouse,
> and to call up the menu I just hit both simultaneously.
>
> I've tried the 'Revive Mouse' under Rearrange/Tune Performance
> but it never helps.  I have to completely close the window and
> restart Big DOS to get my mouse back.

No suggestions other than to say you are not alone in this. I use
a logitech mouse and have exactly the same problem. Revive mouse
has NEVER worked for me with any version of the mouse driver
software, through any version of QEMM/DESQview on 3 different
hardware platforms. QOS refuses to believe I can bring up the
Desq menu with a mouse button. I end up arguing with their
technician each time I bring up the subject.

The only sure way to get the mouse back is to close the window
and reopen it.

Peter Stern                    stern@ims.alaska.edu
Box 60285                      pstern@f38.n17.z1.fidonet.org
Fairbanks AK 99706             65' North DVNet Headquarters BBS

synful@cmutek.cc.cmu.edu (Marc Shannon) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.020610.5156@ims.alaska.edu>, stern@ims.alaska.edu
(Pete Stern) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.210514.862@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
>smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) writes:
>> When I invoke a program that uses the mouse while in a DOS
>> window (such as Big DOS), after I exit I cannot use my mouse
>> anymore; that is, I can't call up the Desqview Menu by using
>> the {Desq} buttons on my mouse.  I have a two-button MS Mouse,
>> and to call up the menu I just hit both simultaneously.
>>
>No suggestions other than to say you are not alone in this. I use
>a logitech mouse and have exactly the same problem. Revive mouse
>has NEVER worked for me with any version of the mouse driver
>software, through any version of QEMM/DESQview on 3 different
>hardware platforms. QOS refuses to believe I can bring up the
>Desq menu with a mouse button. I end up arguing with their
>technician each time I bring up the subject.

(Hi, Peter!)

I saw on some board (Microsoft's BBS??) that there is a new version of
the mouse driver (version 8).  Have you tried using this one (I haven't
myself, so I have no idea whether or not it would work).

You can bring up the DV menu with your mouse after it's dead?  When my
mouse "pointer" has disappeared, the mouse is essentially dead in that
window unless I press <DESQ> (<ALT>) to pop it up first.

--Marc
| Marc Shannon                                  SYNFUL@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU |
| CMU-TEK Person-In-Charge                             R602MS5U@VB.CC.CMU.EDU |
| Carnegie-Mellon University                         SYNFUL@CMUTEK.CC.CMU.EDU |
| (412) 268-6290              "I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong?" |

ted@dgbt.doc.ca (Ted Grusec) (06/13/91)

I'm very fully experienced with the mouse loss problem you state since
I spent a small fortune on Compuserve trying to solve it. The fact is,
as soon as ANY program, utility, whatever, uses a mouse in a window,
DV CANNOT recapture the mouse after you stop using that program,
utility, whatever. So, you must NOT use the mouse in a window unless
you can afford to completely relinquish DV mouse control (which is,
for example, OK if that window is thence totally dedicated to the
mouse-using program). If your program or utility will let you make it
desist from mouse, use that switch. Otherwise, there is a very
effective workaround = a utility, called, appropriately, nomouse,
which you run BEFORE the mouse grabbing program or utility. You can
stick this in a batch file to run automatically for selected programs
or utilities. To get it, contact the programmer ALBERT ARIAIL,
73510.2562@compuserve.com from internet, or at that address directly
on compuserve. It works like a charm, preventing the offending
program, utility, from capturing mouse and leaving DV in control
thereof.

Ted Grusec    Communications Research Centre    (Govt. of Canada, DOC)
 3701 Carling Ave., Ottawa, Ont.K2H 8S2, CANADA  Internet: ted@dgbt.doc.ca
  Compuserve: 73607,1576  (613) 998 2762   Fax (613) 993 8657

stern@ims.alaska.edu (Pete Stern) (06/13/91)

> I saw on some board (Microsoft's BBS??) that there is a new version of
> the mouse driver (version 8).  Have you tried using this one (I haven't
> myself, so I have no idea whether or not it would work).
>
> You can bring up the DV menu with your mouse after it's dead?  When my
> mouse "pointer" has disappeared, the mouse is essentially dead in that
> window unless I press <DESQ> (<ALT>) to pop it up first.

I am using a Logitech mouse so the microsoft driver would not do
me any good. When the mouse dies it really dies including the
ability to bring up the Desq menu. I have to do that from the
keyboard. When I reopen the window everything works normally.

pete

russell@cbnewsd.att.com (russell.w.keating) (06/14/91)

>I spent a small fortune on Compuserve trying to solve it. The fact is,
>as soon as ANY program, utility, whatever, uses a mouse in a window,
>DV CANNOT recapture the mouse after you stop using that program,
>utility, whatever. So, you must NOT use the mouse in a window unless
>you can afford to completely relinquish DV mouse control ...

I am not sure what programs are giving you trouble, but I have not come
across this mouse problem.  I have used Norton Commander, PCTools and
Word Perfect, each in its' own window with each one using the mouse.
Obviously I can't call up the DV menu with the mouse while one of these
programs is using it, but if I go to a window that does not use the
mouse, then DV uses it as usual.   Mouse performance is not affected
even after those windows are closed.

I think DV is great, but it sure takes alot of tinkering to get it
running smoothly.  Happy tinkering :).

Russell Keating -------------------> Send email to: russell1@ihlpb.ATT.COM
--
Russell Keating -------------------> Send email to: russell1@ihlpb.ATT.COM