[comp.os.msdos.desqview] DesqView and DOS 5.0

phil@hansen.ncd.com (Phil Graham) (06/13/91)

I called Quarterdeck today and asked them about DOS 5.0 and DESQVIEW.

What Tech suport told me was the following:
	- There is a new upgrade of DesqView to support DOS 5.0 (2.34 is new
		version) This update is needed to fix some "small" problems
		with DOS 5 and DesqView.
	- Update cost is $10 (I purchased Desqview 3 weeks ago :-(
	- The memory management of QEMM and DOS 5.0 can not co-exist.  This
		means that you have to pick DOS 5.0 memory management or
		QEMM
	- There are some reasons to stick with QEMM since the DOS 5.0 memory
		management is not as effecient as QEMM.  Also the benefit
		that you gain my loading DOS in high memory is lost since
		DesqView can not load itself in high memory.  This means
		that the actual amount of memory available in the first
		640 KB is less than if you leave DOS 5 in low memory and run
		QEMM.
	- Since I am running DOS 4.01 now moving to DOS 5.0 w/o loading DOS
		in high memory will still give me a 10K memory benefit (in
		the first 640KB), if you are running DOS 3.3 then you will
		not see this gain.

Well It is worth a try... DOS 5.0 can be purchased for 39.95 out here with a 20 dollar "instant rebate"  Seems like the thing to do!

If any one actually trys DOS 5 and DesqView please let me know!

Phil

weston@ucselx.sdsu.edu (weston t) (06/17/91)

In article <5944@lupine.NCD.COM> phil@hansen.ncd.com (Phil Graham) writes:

>I called Quarterdeck today and asked them about DOS 5.0 and DESQVIEW.
>
>What Tech suport told me was the following:
>	- There is a new upgrade of DesqView to support DOS 5.0 (2.34 is new
>		version) This update is needed to fix some "small" problems
>		with DOS 5 and DesqView.
>	- Update cost is $10 (I purchased Desqview 3 weeks ago :-(
>
>If any one actually trys DOS 5 and DesqView please let me know!

i have been running dv and dos 5, with dos in hma. my only problem so far
whas been with quatro pro1.0, which crashes spetacularily OUTSIDE of dv.
any ideas??

tom weston
weston@ucselx.sdsu.edu