[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Desqview/X and UNIX

Robert_Broughton@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Broughton) (06/17/91)

My apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed here previously.
Also, X/Window is something I'm just getting into.

Am I correct in understanding that one of the uses of Desqview/X would be to
make it possible to use a 386/486 type machine as an X Terminal? (I hope so;
Imagine running MS/DOS applications locally, and UNIX applications running
elsewhere, at the same time). If so, where would TCP/IP support come from? Is
it built into Desqview/X, or would you have to buy it somewhere else?
--
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Robert Broughton    Robert_Broughton@mindlink.bc.ca

"We calm and reassure. We embrace people with the message that we're
all in it together. That our leaders are infallible and that there is
nothing, absolutely nothing wrong." - Miles Drentell, _thirtysomething_

johnp@gssc.UUCP (John Providenza) (06/21/91)

Robert_Broughton@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Broughton) writes:

>My apologies in advance if this subject has been discussed here previously.
>Also, X/Window is something I'm just getting into.

>Am I correct in understanding that one of the uses of Desqview/X would be to
>make it possible to use a 386/486 type machine as an X Terminal? (I hope so;
>Imagine running MS/DOS applications locally, and UNIX applications running
>elsewhere, at the same time). If so, where would TCP/IP support come from? Is
>it built into Desqview/X, or would you have to buy it somewhere else?
>--
>*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A number of companies (including ours) already sell products that
"turn your PC into an X terminal". They use standard networking
software to provide the connection to the net. Some companies
(including ours) also have available packages that include the
network software and/or high resolution graphics cards and/or
ethernet cards for "one stop shopping".

My understanding of Deskview/X is that it will allow X applications
to run on your PC and use the X protocol to talk directly to local
graphics hardware. The X application must (obviously) be compiled
to 80x86 binary to run locally.

Hope this is helpful.

John Providenza
Spectragraphics/Graphic Software Systems  (aka GSS)
503-641-2200

prange@cs.tu-berlin.de (Martin Prange) (06/22/91)

Hi Netpeople!

In article <6683@gssc.UUCP> johnp@gssc.UUCP (John Providenza) writes:

> A number of companies (including ours) already sell products that
> "turn your PC into an X terminal". They use standard networking
> software to provide the connection to the net. Some companies
> (including ours) also have available packages that include the
> network software and/or high resolution graphics cards and/or
> ethernet cards for "one stop shopping".
>
> My understanding of Deskview/X is that it will allow X applications
> to run on your PC and use the X protocol to talk directly to local
> graphics hardware. The X application must (obviously) be compiled
> to 80x86 binary to run locally.

But that's just *one* half of the cake!
Remenber: X11 works *remote* too,
	and that's a quite powerful feature, since whereever you can
	establish a tcp/ip connection between PC A and Unix-machine B,
	you'll be able to run xeyes (either xeyes.exe or
	unix-executable ) on *both* machines:

TRIVIAL CASE:
program:local  display:local

	A <------------> B
	/--\           /---\

	PC-User
	(runs xeyes.exe)

program:remote  display:local

	A <------------> B
	/--\           /---\

	PC-User
	(runs unix-xeyes: "rsh B xeyes -display A:0")

That's *definitely* cool, isn't it ???
More: You`ll be able to contact the Unix-machines and PC's
      with the *same* Interface for Inter-Process-Communication !

					:-) Martin.

Disclaimer: I'm *NOT* assocciated with Quaterdeck at all.

--
 Martin Prange     | <prange@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de>
 Cheruskerstr. 21a | USENET: ...%!{unido,pyramid}!tub!opal!prange

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (06/26/91)

Robert_Broughton@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Broughton) writes:

>Am I correct in understanding that one of the uses of Desqview/X would be to
>make it possible to use a 386/486 type machine as an X Terminal? (I hope so;
>Imagine running MS/DOS applications locally, and UNIX applications running
>elsewhere, at the same time). If so, where would TCP/IP support come from? Is
>it built into Desqview/X, or would you have to buy it somewhere else?

First a disclaimer: I work for a company selling FTP's and GSS's
software, and have on my desk a booklet describing Desqview/X which is
stamped "CONFIDENTIAL".

So, what I knew before I read this book was that Desqview/X is intended
to talk to other X systems via FTP's PC/TCP, and uses X server technology
from GSS/Spectragraphics.

So the answer is "yes".  Other posters have pointed out that existing
programs will make a PC an X server already. The missing link in the
other products is being able to make effective use of DOS commands
remotely. (I exclude the rsh server embedded in PC/XView as it's fairly
limited and suspends the X server while it's doing it.)

Ian