[comp.os.msdos.desqview] dos5 & win /3 problem

vonb@iitmax.iit.edu (Robert Von Borstel) (06/27/91)

I recently upgraded to dos 5 from 4.01, and have been an avid user
of Desqview 2.31 and Qemm 5.11 /386.  My problem is that now I can't
run windows in enhanced mode at the command level prompt (not under DV).
When I try it, I just see the Microsoft logo, then I am returned to a
DOS prompt.  The real and standard modes work fine.

Looking at my config.sys, all DOS5 has entered is the "DOS=HIGH" and
setver driver.  My "device=c:qemm386.sys ram exclude=d000-d400 extmem=384"
line is the same.

So I realize I am using QuarterDecks memory manager vs Microsofts, but
I can't find any reason for this happening in MS readme.txt file or
else where.

More importantly, I don't want to stay on hold for hours calling MS
tech support line, :) soooo...has anyone else solved this problem?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Robert Von Borstel / Illinois Institute of Technology - ACC  | { }
10 West 31st Street,  Chicago, Il   60616  (312) 567-5962    | { }
INTERNET:  vonb@iitmax.iit.edu   BITNET:  sysbvb@iitvax      | { }
--

mcmillan@harpsichord.cis.ohio-state.edu (Hal McMillan) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.162344.14301@iitmax.iit.edu> vonb@iitmax.iit.edu (Robert Von Borstel) writes:
>I recently upgraded to dos 5 from 4.01, and have been an avid user
>of Desqview 2.31 and Qemm 5.11 /386.  My problem is that now I can't
>run windows in enhanced mode at the command level prompt (not under DV).
>When I try it, I just see the Microsoft logo, then I am returned to a
>DOS prompt.  The real and standard modes work fine.

I am now running DOS 5 with QEMM 5.12.  I use "device=qemm386.sys ram
rom nosh nrh" to load QEMM.  I "loadhi" the following drivers: ansi,
smartdrive, doskey, mouse, and setver.  I also set DOS=HIGH.  With this
setup, I have about 637,000 bytes free.

Starting with this configuration, I then run either Windows 386 enhanced
mode, or DV 2.32, depending on my mood.  Perhaps there may be a problem with
the versions of DV 386 that you are running.  I know that the package
I bought in April had a sticker on it touting Windows 3.0 compatibility.

I understand that some users are having problems with DOS 5,
especially with some mouse drivers.  This is really a shame because
with the combination of DOS 5, QEMM, DV, and Windows, I have more
flexibility than ever.
--
Hal McMillan                | "It's an ideal principle, which can be verified
mcmillan@cis.ohio-state.edu |  only under ideal conditions.  Which means never.

bryan@intvax2.cs.sandia.gov (Jon R Bryan) (06/28/91)

From article <1991Jun27.162344.14301@iitmax.iit.edu>, by vonb@iitmax.iit.edu (Robert Von Borstel):
> I recently upgraded to dos 5 from 4.01, and have been an avid user
> of Desqview 2.31 and Qemm 5.11 /386.  My problem is that now I can't
> run windows in enhanced mode at the command level prompt (not under DV).
> When I try it, I just see the Microsoft logo, then I am returned to a
> DOS prompt.  The real and standard modes work fine.

You can't run Windows 3.0 in enhanced mode from Desqview.  You're better
off running Standard mode and using Desqview to do your multi-tasking,
which is all that Enhanced mode really gives you anyway.  Standard mode
runs faster than Enhanced, as well.  It's the way I do it.

I have the Quarterdeck tech notes, which I can quote from in a follow-up
if you must have it "from the horse's mouth."

--
Jon R. Bryan	(505) 844-2015	<=>	bryan@intvax.cs.sandia.gov
Sandia National Laboratories, Intelligent Machine Principles Division