[comp.os.msdos.desqview] Caches

fordke@infonode.ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (05/07/91)

Is there a way to turn the write caching off in SMARTDRV.SYS?
Also, is there a reliable shareware cache program available that
will run under DV?  Hyperdisk perhaps?
--
 __  fordke@ingr.com, ...!uunet!ingr!{fordke,infonode!umagic!sysop}
/  \ Micro Magic CBCS  1:373/12  (205)830-2362  sysop@umagic.fidonet.org

jpollard@silver.ucs.indiana.edu () (06/28/91)

Through laborous trial and error processes, I have tried to find a single
caching system that will work with both DESQ and WIN3 enh. PC-KWIK V2.1,
Norton 5 F cache, Hyperdisk V4.11, and PC-CACHE V4.0 have all failed.
Smartdriv does work but is too slow and offers no write caching. I
would like a single configuration that performs write caching and can
dynamically give RAM back to the system if necessary. An added restriction
is that I have SCSI (Future Domain controlled) and MFM drives in a single
system. This rules out the shareware version of Hyperdisk since it
currently does not properly interface with Future Domain SCSI controller.
I will compile all of the suggestions (hopefully the solution) and post them
to the net. Thanks in advance.

--
Jack Pollard, private citizen

michaelv@iastate.edu (Vanloon Michael Lee) (07/01/91)

In <1991Jun27.194934.28284@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> jpollard@silver.ucs.indiana.edu writes:

>Through laborous trial and error processes, I have tried to find a single
>caching system that will work with both DESQ and WIN3 enh. PC-KWIK V2.1,
>Norton 5 F cache, Hyperdisk V4.11, and PC-CACHE V4.0 have all failed.
>Smartdriv does work but is too slow and offers no write caching. I
>would like a single configuration that performs write caching and can
>dynamically give RAM back to the system if necessary. An added restriction
>is that I have SCSI (Future Domain controlled) and MFM drives in a single
>system. This rules out the shareware version of Hyperdisk since it
>currently does not properly interface with Future Domain SCSI controller.
>I will compile all of the suggestions (hopefully the solution) and post them
>to the net. Thanks in advance.

PC-CACHE version 6 (now vers. 7).

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (07/01/91)

Hyperdisk is now up to version 4.21.  Many of the previous problems
with DESQview and Windows3 have been fixed.  Give it a try.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
HYDK421.ZIP   B  262319  910430  HyperDisk v4.21 disk cache system (shareware)

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]