To: ietf@isi.edu
From: ietf-rsvp@nri.reston.va.us
Subject: Mailing 1 : IETF, July 29-Aug 2, 1991/Atlanta
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 91 10:53:32 -0400

Dear IETFers:

This is the first mailing of logistics for the upcoming IETF
(Jul. 29 - Aug. 2, 1991/ Atlanta).  An Agenda and Directions will
follow at a later date.  Please direct any questions to
ietf-rsvp@nri.reston.va.us.  PLEASE NOTE: UNITED AIRLINES WILL
ACTIVATE THE IETF GROUP NUMBER ON TUESDAY, JUNE 11TH 3:00PM EST.
THE DELTA NUMBER HAS ALREADY BEEN ACTIVATED.

Included in this mailing are the following:

1. AT-A-GLANCE SHEET: A one page write-up of pertinent information
                      (i.e., Dates, Registration Info., Hotel,
                      Airline, Shuttle)

2. Registration Form: We are accepting payment by credit card and
		      check.  Please be sure to read the form carefully
		      and provide complete information.

FYI...

Just a reminder that the quality of these meetings (and in
particular the Working Group technical *working* sessions) is
dependent upon the informed, constructive participation of the
individual attendees.  Please come prepared.

Information on the current status and progress of the individual
Working Groups can be obtained in several ways:

1. Working Group objectives and notes from previous sessions are
   available online (send to ietf-manager@nri.reston.va.us for retrieval
   instructions).

2. Working Group objectives and notes from previous meetings are
   also reproduced in the hardcopy Proceedings (to order, send to
   proceedings@nri.reston.va.us).

3. Agendas and reading lists for Working Group meetings will also be
   posted to the respective Working Group mailing lists.

LOOKING AHEAD....

The November 1991 IETF Meeting will be held in Santa Fe, NM.  Our host for
this meeting will be John Morrison and Dale Land of Los Alamos National
Labs.  The Spring 1992 IETF is tentatively scheduled to be hosted by
San Diego Supercomputer Center.
- -------------

21ST INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE	     Mailing Date  : 6/10/91
AT-A-GLANCE				     Mailing Number: 1

DATE: 		    July 29 - August 2, 1991

HOST(S):	    Caroline Cranfill
		    BellSouth Services

HOTEL/MEETING SITE: Hyatt Regency Atlanta
		     in Peachtree Center
		    265 Peachtree Street, NE
		    Atlanta, GA 30301
		    (404) 577-1234 {fax:(404)        }
		    150 Rooms reserved until July 5, 1991
		    $89.00/single or double
		    Specify: IETF or CNRI GROUP

ALTERNATE ACCOM:    The Atlanta Hilton
		    255 Courtland Street, NE
                    Atlanta, GA 30303
                    (404) 222-2800
                    20 Rooms reserved until July 5, 1991
                    $89.00/single or double
                    Specify: IETF or CNRI Group

MESSAGES:           TBD

PRE-REGISTRATION:   Sunday, July 28, 1991
		    6pm - 8pm (reception during)
		    Hyatt Regency Atlanta
		    Room: TBD

REGISTRATION:	    Monday, July 29, 1991
		    8am - 9am
		    Hyatt Regency Atlanta
		    Room: TBD

ATTENDANCE FEE:     PAYMENT BY CHECK ONLY: (see Registration Form)
	            $130.00 if received BY July 5, 1991
	 	    $150.00 if received AFTER July 5, 1991

AIRLINE:    	    Delta Airlines (special rate roundtrip only)
                    1 (800) 221-1212  File No: T12112 (IETF)
		    We regret that discounted fares are not available
 		    for international flights.

NUMBER WILL NOT BE  United Airlines (special rate roundtrip only)
ACTIVATED UNTIL     1 (800) 521-4041 Meeting ID: 515CX (IETF)
TUES. 6/11          We regret that discounted fares are not available
3:00PM EST          for international flights.

CAR RENTAL:         Alamo Discounts available through Delta.
         	    Hertz Discounts available through United.

AIRPORT:

SHUTTLE:

PARKING:

CLIMATE:
--------------

                            REGISTRATION FORM
             21st Internet Engineering Task Force - Page 1 of 2
                        July 29 - August 2, 1991
                               Atlanta, GA

Please print or type:

Name (Mr/Dr/Ms)__________________________________________________________

Title____________________________________________________________________

Organization_____________________________________________________________

Address__________________________________________________________________

City_______________________________State______________Zip Code___________

Telephone______________________________Fax_______________________________

Email____________________________________________________________________

Please check a) and b) below so we can identify your organization type and
interest.

a)  Organization Type  ___HW/SW Vendor  ___Government  ___Network Provider

                       ___University  ___Other (_______________________)

b)  Your interest in 21st IETF Meeting:  ___Network Operator

                       ___Network User  ___Product Developer  ___Researcher

                       ___Other (________________)

Do you plan to attend the Sunday, July 28, 1991 evening reception?
    YES___   NO___

$130.00 Registration postmarked by July 5, 1991

$150.00 ($130.00 + $20.00 late fee)  Registration postmarked after July 5, 1991

Method of payment:  ___AMEX  ___VISA  ___MC  ___Diners  ___Check enclosed

                    (U.S. dollars, drawn on a U.S. Bank), payable to:

Account No.____________________________ Expiration Date__________________

Cardholder Signature_____________________________________________________

Please return a copy of the Registration Form with your payment today to
take advantage of the reduced rate of $130.00 and mail to:

     Accounting Department - 21st IETF Meeting
     1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100
     Reston, VA 22091-5434

                                REGISTRATION FORM
                  21st Internet Engineering Task Force - Page 2 of 2
                            July 29 - August 2, 1991
                                    Atlanta, GA

IMPORTANT:

     1.   Advance Registrations must be postmarked no later than July 5, 1991.
     2.   Register one person per form.  No substitutions are allowed.
     3.   Request for refunds must be received by July 26, 1991.
     4.   Refund policy:  Refunds are subject to a $20.00 service charge.
                          Late fees will not be refunded.
     5.   Your registration fee includes a copy of the Meeting's Proceedings,
		Sunday evening reception (cash bar), and a daily continental
                breakfast and coffee breaks.

Please contact (703) 620-8990 or (703) 620-0913 (Fax) for additional
information
or assistance.  Direct all inquiries to:  21st IETF meeting - Atlanta.

Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/24/91)

Is it really the case that the only new stuff in the NNTP protocol
is Brian's original ideas?  If so, that is a big mistake.
	-Syntax of "search" command is not good, or did we decide
	 to leave it out?
	-I don't think we ever really reached consensus on the
	 authentication, or did we?
	-I really REALLY want a "mode" command -- I have software
	 in beta-test that could use this right now (see the
	  archives, around April 20)
	-Elliot asked about flushing the "batch" command.  Are we?
	 Or what about Brian's suggestions of May 1?
	-What about "438 offer me this one later"?

We must resolve these issues before we can say we're done.
	/r$

galvin@TIS.COM (James M Galvin) (06/24/91)

		-I don't think we ever really reached consensus on the
		 authentication, or did we?

I, too, do not have the impression that consensus was reached.  I looked
back over the notes I did save (not all of them), and derived the following:

1. Host (or connection?) level authentication seems the most appropriate.
   A point that was not resolved was whether or not this should be mutual or
   just the "client" authenticating itself to the "server".

2. Confidentiality was briefly discussed, but it seems more appropriate at
   the newsgroup level.  Since newsgroups are not defined at the NNTP
   level, this is probably a service for a higher layer.

3. The closest thing to consensus with respect to a mechanism was a number
   of suggestions to use id/password pairs.  My opinion is this may be okay
   for now, while we wait for the CAT working group to do its thing.
   Kerberos was also suggested.

This is my recollection and interpretation of what I saved.  It could be
wrong.

Jim

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (06/24/91)

Rich, reader additions to the protocol are on hold until we see just how
far we can get on an NNRP.  I don't have any particular objections to
the MODE command, other than that the default MODE needs to handle the
old functionality.  Among other things it would not require an
additional port assignment.  However, I am far more interested in what
the reader MODE/protocol would look like, than how to get to it, at this
point.

Stan likes the idea of the OPTION command.  As long as you can lump all
the options together, I won't object, either.  Brian's suggestion was to
flush the OPTION command.

Again, I'm in mid-rewrite so hang in there for just a bit longer...

Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

Jim.Thompson@Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (06/24/91)

	From ietf-nntp-request@turbo.bio.net Mon Jun 24 12:34:01 1991
	From: Eliot <lear@turbo.bio.net>

	Rich, reader additions to the protocol are on hold until we see just how
	far we can get on an NNRP.  I don't have any particular objections to
	the MODE command, other than that the default MODE needs to handle the
	old functionality.

This assumes that whatever is listening on the other 'end' of the
connections handles all the current requests.  In this case, that is
not true.

In my opinion, the original spec errored in being to tied to a particular
implimentation.

	Among other things it would not require an
	additional port assignment.

Why should NNRP not be granted an additional port assignment?  Heck, POP
has three of 'em now!

	Stan likes the idea of the OPTION command.  As long as you can lump all
	the options together, I won't object, either.  Brian's suggestion was to
	flush the OPTION command.

NNTP should be for transfering news.  NNRP should be for reading news.

As far as IMAGE, while it is true that changing into and back out of
the '\r\n' line termination on Un*x, there is a simple solution for
this as well.

Don't transform the '\r\n' on input if you're just going to store the article.

"But this breaks our storage model, because the newsreaders have direct
access to the files!", someone will object.

Time to catch up with technology, man.  The current storage model is broken.
Just ask anyone who attempts to keep 6 months of news on-line.

Jim

	Eliot Lear
	[lear@turbo.bio.net]