[list.ietf-nntp] NEWNEWS

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/25/91)

>news server.  As Rich Salz mentions in another message, NEWNEWS is also
>a good way of raping the victim host and sending its performance to
>hell, since it's fairly inefficient in the way it's implemented.
With the proper set of indices, NEWNEWS becomes as cheap as just about
any other command.

Of course, not every single host will be able to afford building the proper
set of indices. :-)

Jim Thompson knows the "proper set."
	/r$

tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts'o) (06/25/91)

   From: Rich Salz <rsalz@bbn.com>
   Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:28:35 EDT

   With the proper set of indices, NEWNEWS becomes as cheap as just about
   any other command.

Yes, but in the implementation which probably over 90% of the NNTP sites
run, NEWNEWS is done by opening the history file, reading it out line by
line, and performing a ngmatch() on each one.  When your history file is
12 meg, and 230k lines, this is nontrivial.

This ragging on an implementation really doesn't matter when we're
discussing protocols issues, except that we should make sure that it's
possible for a NNTP/NNRP server to elect _not_ to honor certain
commands, such as NEWNEWS or the SEARCH commands that some people are
requesting.  The news admin at a particular site may not wish to spend
the computrons/disk space for the various indices.  Or a particular
implementation of one of these commands could be done badly, and a
particular site admin may wish to disable a particular command and
remain within spec.  I suppose that could be done now by making the
NEWNEWS command return a "502 access restriction or permission denied"
response, but perhaps we should have a more specific error code to
indicate that a server is not going to allow a particular searching
command (possibly because it's a specific index is not available or
because it would return too much information).

						- Ted

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/25/91)

Yeah, I agree that something like
	520 Not enough resources for that command
is something that should be codified in the spec.

It is also tough to keep the difference between the protocol and the
implementation separate -- and not too separate.  Again, I apologize
if I crossed any lines or stepped on anyone's toes.
	/r$

Jim.Thompson@Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (06/25/91)

	From: tytso@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Theodore Ts'o)

	   From: Rich Salz <rsalz@bbn.com>
	   Date: Tue, 25 Jun 91 11:28:35 EDT

	   With the proper set of indices, NEWNEWS becomes as cheap as just about
	   any other command.

	Yes, but in the implementation which probably over 90% of the NNTP sites
	run, NEWNEWS is done by opening the history file, reading it out line by
	line, and performing a ngmatch() on each one.  When your history file is
	12 meg, and 230k lines, this is nontrivial.

This is likely due to the fact that the code that R$ mentions is
not commonly available (yet), rather than reluctance by a large number
of sites to innovate.

If your newsreaders, or feeding arangements, need such indices, then
you'll likely find the software and install it.

Jim

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (06/26/91)

All,

Since there appears to be no concensus on whether sucking or blowing is
better, I suggest that we allow for both to continue, unless someone has
a really compelling argument against sucking.  AND, if we allow both to
continue, then we should allow all the options to be applied to those
transactions.  Remember, the server can always say NO to an option
negotiation.

Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/26/91)

I have no objection to sucking per se. I just think NEWNEWS/ARTICLE is much
more ineffective than some kind of GROUP/BATCH approach.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (06/26/91)

There is only one good argument against GROUP/BATCH that Dave Taylor
would probably spout up with were he reading this discussion.  He sees
newsgroups as merely one of any number of search keys.  In that light,
it would not make sense to limit based *just* on the group.  However, I
think it would be good to flush out the READER specification before
making any final decisions on this issue.

See my next message for more info on the reader.

Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]