[comp.org.acm] Me first..!

hencheyj@merrimack.edu (04/26/91)

Me first!

Hello, everyone!!...is anyone out there?  Did everyone have programming
contests for high school kids--how were they?

Jean Henchey
Merrimack College ACM
hencheyj@merrimack.edu

klakeman@plains.NoDak.edu (Keith Lakeman) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.172314.21717@merrimack.edu> hencheyj@merrimack.edu writes:
>Me first!
>
>Hello, everyone!!...is anyone out there?  Did everyone have programming
>contests for high school kids--how were they?

We are putting on a programming contest for high school kids tomorrow,
April 27th.  This is for the Science Olympiad.  We haven't done a programming
contest for high school kids in the past, so this will be a learning
experience.  I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

-Keith Lakeman   klakeman@plains.nodak.edu
-North Dakota State Univ. ACM
-Secretary

blair@cs.columbia.edu (Blair Seidler) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.172314.21717@merrimack.edu> hencheyj@merrimack.edu writes:
>Hello, everyone!!...is anyone out there?  Did everyone have programming
>contests for high school kids--how were they?

Well, when I was in high school (not that long ago), we competed in contests
run by ACSL (American Computer Science League) and CML (Continental Math
League) plus a few local contests.  I assume that these organizations are
still in existence.  Why not ask them?
--
Blair A. Seidler          Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science
(212) 853-6874                           Columbia University

vernard@prism.gatech.EDU (Vernard Martin) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.172314.21717@merrimack.edu> hencheyj@merrimack.edu writes:
>Hello, everyone!!...is anyone out there?  Did everyone have programming
>contests for high school kids--how were they?
>
>Jean Henchey
>Merrimack College ACM
>hencheyj@merrimack.edu

The Georgia Tech ACM just finished (as in hours ago) a high school
programming contest for Georgia High School Students. The students used IBM
ps/2 model 25s donated by IBM corporaton. The languages allowed were Borland
Turbo Pascal 4.0 and BASICA.

It seemed very successful. 26 teams from 20 different schools competed for 3
hours to solve 8 problems. Only one problem went completely unsolved. The
contest was sponsored by the Georgia Insitutue of Technology's College
of Computing and by the IBM corporation. This is the second year straight
we have held the contest. Last year we only had 16 schools a 12 teams. We will
probably increase the size of the contest again next year. It seems to be a
big hit amont the high school students. The high school teachers also like it
because during the contest, they have a chance to talk to one of the
professors here at Tech on what a kid needs to know about computers and
programming to do well in the Comp Sci courses at Tech.

If you are looking for an interesting event for your ACM chapter, I highly
recommend doing a high school programming contest but make sure that you
have plenty of people on the planning committe. We managed to pull this off
with only around 20 folks. A large ACM group could easily do it!
-------
Vernard Martin , System Account Manager and Graduate Student
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!gatech!prism!vernard  -or-  Internet: vernard@prism.gatech.edu
"Where there is a will, there is a way to subvert it!" - me.