[comp.org.acm] What you can do

faigin@aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.224630.11619@twinsun.com>, eggert@twinsun.com (Paul
Eggert) writes:
> CACM changed its format in order to attract readers, and the only sure
> way to convince CACM of its mistake is to stop subscribing.  Normally,
> readers noisily cancel their subscriptions because of _content_, not
> _style_, but if the Fabulous Fetzer Fiasco of September 1988 wasn't
> enough to turn your stomach, the new format might do the trick.

Hey folks, we're engineering (albeit software ones) right? The engineering
approach is not to bellyache about a problem (or the symptoms of a problem) --
the engineering approach is to solve the problem.

I get very tired when I hear people complaining about how ACM does this or
that wrong. ACM is a VOLUNTEER organization. Only a few people get paid for
this work; it comes out of free time and a desire to better the profession. If
you don't like what you see, then it is up to you to act to change it.
Volunteer. Get involved in ACM and work to change it from with in. Don't like
what your SIG is doing -- run for SIG office and solve the problem? Don't like
how CACM is layed out -- call the editor and volunteer to work on the layout
or as a flunky for the Pubs Board. Go to CSC and the other meetings, and voice
your opinion during the meetings. Letters can be ignored; people can't.

If you own a condominium, the best way to protect your interest is to be on
the board. If you live in a city, the best way to be heard is to be active in
grass-roots politics.

If you want ACM to succeed, the best way to do this is to volunteer and get
involved. Don't just sit back and let others make the mistakes and then
complain.

Take a lesson from old-timers like Herb Grosch and Ed Manderfield. Speak out
when mistakes are made, and work to change them. Ed right now is circulating a
petition to attempt to undo the upcoming regional representative reduction
that occurs in July (from 12 to 4 regions).

I know from whence I speak. I got involved.

Daniel
Vice-chairman-elect, Los Angeles Chapter of the ACM
--
[W]:The Aerospace Corp. M1/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-8228
[Email]:faigin@aerospace.aero.org               [Vmail]:213/336-5454 Box#3149