[net.rec.birds] Bird Imitators

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (09/19/85)

    Six years ago at Stage XII, Stony Brook my husband and I had a marvelous
neighbor, a crow who had the following repertoire:  dog, donkey, chicken,
duck, and motor cycle.

                          Sukie Crandall

geoffs@brl-sem.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) (09/24/85)

In article <1160@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP {Sukie Crandall} writes:
> a crow who had the following repertoire:  dog, donkey, chicken,
>duck, and motor cycle.

	I have never had the privilege of hearing a crow bark.

	How come mocking birds, cat birds, starlines, etc.... usually
imitate other birds? Is it just because they hear those sounds most
often? (If so how come city dwelling starlings don't imitate busses?)

						geoff

daleh@tekcae.UUCP (Dale Henrichs) (09/30/85)

Several years ago, we had a starling that would sing the theme from 'The
Twilight Zone' (Da De Doo Doo, Da De Doo Doo).....

My wife and I figured it was a Rod Starling....

[the bird actually existed!]

Dale Henrichs
[...]!tektronix!tekcae!daleh