[comp.org.acm] Student volunteers at SIGGRAPH?

dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) (05/12/91)

I'd like to go to the Summer SIGGRAPH in Las Vegas and go to the tutorials,
and all the good stuff.  I've heard that I can be a volunteer and work "for"
the conference, saving me major dollars.

How do I go about this?  I'm not currently a member of ACM.  Should I join?

Thanks much,

Dan Wallach
dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) (05/13/91)

In <1991May11.211348.2894@agate.berkeley.edu> dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) writes:

>I'd like to go to the Summer SIGGRAPH in Las Vegas and go to the tutorials,
>and all the good stuff.  I've heard that I can be a volunteer and work "for"
>the conference, saving me major dollars.

>How do I go about this?  I'm not currently a member of ACM.  Should I join?

Sorry, you're too late.  The deadline for application as a student volunteer
was April 17.  Looks like you'll have to wait until next year....
(which is good for me, you're one less person I'll have to compete with
 this year! :-)

As far as ACM goes I'd suggest finding your local student chapter (if it
exists) and check it out.  As far as I'm concerned the national stuff isn't
too bad, but making local contacts and friendships in a local chapter is
much more useful than another article about software engineering or some
silly health insurance.....

--
 |Paul Lindner   |lindner@boombox.micro.umn.edu  |"You've got to spit
 |University of  |U of Minn. ACM President       | to see the shine..."
 |Minnesota MWNC |I.T. Sun/HP Sysadmin           | -- Babes in Toyland
///// / / /     /////// / / / /  /  /  /        //// / / / /  /  /  /   /

theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (05/18/91)

lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:

> Sorry, you're too late.  The deadline for application as a student volunteer
> was April 17.  Looks like you'll have to wait until next year....

Paul is *probably* wrong!

Contact the student co-ordinator for SIGGRAPH IMMEDIATELY. If you
need his name, number, etc call Beth Olson's Office at HQ -- they
would most likely be able to help you. (The number to HQ is in the
CACM -- pick up a copy at your library)

At the Comp. Science Conference one of my members was able to volunteer
at the site since so many students had just not shown up.

This is why I say probably.

Either way drop a note here and let us know.

dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) (05/18/91)

In article <HNP421w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu> theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
>lindner@cs.umn.edu (Paul Lindner) writes:
>
>Contact the student co-ordinator for SIGGRAPH IMMEDIATELY. If you
>need his name, number, etc call Beth Olson's Office at HQ -- they
>would most likely be able to help you. (The number to HQ is in the
>CACM -- pick up a copy at your library)

I contacted Vicki Putz, Chair <vputz@lynx.northeastern.edu> and she
said:

-> I'm sorry there is no way. Applications were reviewed and positions
-> appointed by May 1. We received 600 applications for 250 positions.

That's pretty much the "final" word on that.

>At the Comp. Science Conference one of my members was able to volunteer
>at the site since so many students had just not shown up.

I'm hoping for something of this sort, but I'm certainly not counting on it.

Dan Wallach
dwallach@soda.berkeley.edu