[comp.org.acm] Old format Computing Surveys

mb@sparrms.ists.ca (Mike Bell) (05/13/91)

While the debate rages on about CACM - I *much* preferred the old format
which had the benefit of readability and *not* feeling like a
here-today-trash-tomorrow trade magazine - am I alone in feeling that
ACM Computing Surveys actually could do with a face lift?

Given the small format, two columns of six-and-one-hypehenated-half words
per column seems ridiculous. The fonts used also seem cramped and hard
to read. A single column page set in (say) Times Roman would be much
easier to read.

The content (and easy-to-find contents list) are good though. (I thought
the recent article on "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About
Floating Point" particularly good.)

The only other improvement I would make is to put a few keywords on the
spine to make it easy to find articles or issues on a particular subject.

lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.133955.29618@sparrms.ists.ca>, mb@sparrms.ists.ca (Mike Bell) writes:
|> ... am I alone in feeling that
|> ACM Computing Surveys actually could do with a face lift?

I am no expert in typography, but I really like the format of Computing Surveys.
It is the best ACM publication that I regularly read.  I like the format and
the contents, and find it much more readable than CACM.  I am sure that it
could be improved, but, given what happened to CACM, I am afraid of any change
right now.

|> The content (and easy-to-find contents list) are good though. (I thought
|> the recent article on "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About
|> Floating Point" particularly good.)

Yes.  This was an excellent article.  Good work!

--
  Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-9,  UUCP:                ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  Internet:            lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov

ed@titipu.meta.com (Edward Reid) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May13.133955.29618@sparrms.ists.ca>, mb@sparrms.ists.ca (Mike Bell) writes:

> While the debate rages on about CACM - I *much* preferred the old format

I preferred the old format, too.  The old black-and-blue cover.  It's looked
trashy ever since they started putting those stupid color graphics on the cover
about ten years ago.  Most of the covers now have that obnoxious look and feel
of computer-generated graphics.

Edward Reid  (8-}>
  eel:   ed@titipu.meta.com
  snail: PO Box 378/Greensboro FL 32330