[comp.org.acm] Computer Science Trading Cards

mikal.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Michael brown) (05/17/91)

You know what the Computer Science field needs???

That's Right!!!   TRADING CARDS!!!

Everybody else has them:  NASCAR, Wrestling, Space, Countries,
                          Kentucky Derby.

We could have cards with--

PERSONALITIES-  picture on the front, data on back
       Marvin Minsky, John McCarthy, von Neumann, Turing,
        Wozniak, Capt Crunch, etc.
      have scientists, theorists, writters, inventors,
       everyone who has made an impact.

COMPUTERS- Cray, Connection Machine, IBM PC, Mac, Amiga, Atari, etc.

PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES- Lisp, Pascal, C, BASIC, etc.

CONCEPTS- OOP, AI, Neural net, telecommunications, etc.

They could set aside time at Conferences to trading of cards.

What do you all think????
:-)

mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Michael Stephen Zajac) (05/17/91)

Excellent idea!

The cards could be sold in packages of bubble gum, or
RAM chips or something.
Mike
mzajac@ccu.umanitoba.ca

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (05/18/91)

From article <4gg321w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>,
by mikal.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Michael brown):
> You know what the Computer Science field needs???
>
> That's Right!!!   TRADING CARDS!!!

I collect punched cards (you know, the cards they once used as an input
medium, as invented by Hollerith a century or so ago).  I have quite a
trading stock, and if you'd like to send me some cards with interesting
corporate or university logos or other printing on their faces, I'll
send different cards from my collection.

This is serious stuff, folks!  I have cards from Israel, Sweden, Australia,
Bell Labs, many US Universities, and a fair number of companies, and I'd
like to get my hands on more before they all get sent to landfills or
recycling centers.

Send any interesting (and preferably unpunched) cards you might have to

			Doug Jones
			816 Park Road
			Iowa City, IA  52246
			USA

If you want cards in return, send an addressed envelope.  I pay return
postage.  Send at least 4 cards (that way, the load is stiffer and less
likely to be bent, folded or spindled by the post office).

kdr@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) (05/18/91)

Paper? How quaint ...

What about a smart card with a piccy printed on it and stored as a bitmap in
it. OK, so no-one has the gizmo to read it but what the heck - that's what
technology is for ;-)

Kevin
"but of course you want a kettle that makes toast, its progress!"

mbraun@radium.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Matthew Braun) (05/20/91)

In article <4gg321w163w@shark.cs.fau.edu>, mikal.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu
(Michael brown) writes:
|> You know what the Computer Science field needs???
|> That's Right!!!   TRADING CARDS!!!

We thought this idea over last year at Purdue for about 15 minutes.  We were
going to just do the departmental faculty, though.  Include vital statistics
such as oft repeated phrases, doctoral thesis title, areas of research
interest, primary funding sources, newsgroups to which they often posted,
"Rookie Of The Year" honors, etc.  For professors who were rarely around,
we'd issue one or two cards, so that having the prof's card would be as rare
an event as seeing him in real life.

Also figured it would be a good way to get into a *whole* mess of trouble,
too.  ;-)

What's this got to do with the ACM...? Darn good question. Let's move this
discussion somewhere else.

					m@

+-mbraun@urbana.mcd.mot.com-+-"Trade 'ya six Rices for a Comer."- - - - - - - +
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, | "No way!"                                       |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre | "How about if I throw in a Spaf?"               |
+---Cupertino, CA Chapter---+-"Yeah, allright."  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+