[comp.org.acm] Renewals

U09046@UICVM.UIC.EDU (Bob Jackiewicz) (06/03/91)

Hi all,
   Now mind you, I'm not one to gripe and groan, BUT, i think that one
thing which would REALLY be nice to see from ACM was a stub which fits
into the envelope! I just stuffed the ACM renewal stub into the supplied
envelope, and lo and behold, it didn't fit! It had to be folded!!! This
is a professional society, right?  :-)  Beth, if you have any say so
in this, could you PLEASE suggest it? Or does ACM just have an abundance
of these oversized stubs?  :-)  Ugh!! Dealing with this and finals is not
a pleasant experience!!!

Brought to you by the sick mind of
Bob Jackiewicz, writer of wrongs, wronger of rights.
BITNET:   U09046@UICVM                        "Touch my monkey!"  -Dieter
InterNet: U09046@UICVM.UIC.EDU
                               "Those people [who copycat movie murders]
"A European swallow or an       should not only be put in jail, but should
African swallow?" -Python, M.   also be sued for plagiarism!" -Stephen King

uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) (06/04/91)

In article <91153.210144U09046@uicvm.uic.edu> U09046@UICVM.UIC.EDU (Bob Jackiewicz) writes:
>Hi all,
>   Now mind you, I'm not one to gripe and groan, BUT, i think that one
>thing which would REALLY be nice to see from ACM was a stub which fits
>into the envelope! I just stuffed the ACM renewal stub into the supplied
>envelope, and lo and behold, it didn't fit! It had to be folded!!! This
>is a professional society, right?  :-)  Beth, if you have any say so
>in this, could you PLEASE suggest it? Or does ACM just have an abundance
>of these oversized stubs?  :-)  Ugh!! Dealing with this and finals is not
>a pleasant experience!!!

I second this motion, and additionally, I'd like to see the membership card
just that tiny bit smaller so it would fit in the "windows" of a wallet.  It
has ALWAYS been just enough too big that it must be trimmed or folded if
I'm going to carry it.

>Brought to you by the sick mind of
>Bob Jackiewicz, writer of wrongs, wronger of rights.
>BITNET:   U09046@UICVM                        "Touch my monkey!"  -Dieter
>InterNet: U09046@UICVM.UIC.EDU
>                               "Those people [who copycat movie murders]
>"A European swallow or an       should not only be put in jail, but should
>African swallow?" -Python, M.   also be sued for plagiarism!" -Stephen King

Sam Uselton		uselton@nas.nasa.gov
employed by CSC		working for NASA (Ames)		speaking for myself

horstman@mathcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.192556.13648@nas.nasa.gov> uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) writes:

>I second this motion, and additionally, I'd like to see the membership card
>just that tiny bit smaller so it would fit in the "windows" of a wallet.  It
>has ALWAYS been just enough too big that it must be trimmed or folded if
>I'm going to carry it.

Pray tell, why would you want to carry the membership card on you? It has
always astounded me that the ACM, the AMS, the IEEE, CPSR, the local public
radio station, the college bookstore, my video rental place, Kinko's, the
local phone company, etc., etc., think I have enough wallet real estate
to carry their card.

Sure, it is inconvenient if I call up the ACM office, they ask
"What is your membership number?", and I say "I have no idea". It is in-
convenient for them, that is, because they must look up in their computer
that there is only one Horstmann at San Jose State and go from there.

Is there any benefit from carrying the card? Car rental discounts? 2 for
1 movie passes? I threw mine away, so I can't tell. C'mon ACM, save a tree
and do away with the card.

Cay

w1cowan@watson.ibm.com (Crispin Cowan) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.022231.21108@mathcs.sjsu.edu> horstman@mathcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann) writes:
>In article <1991Jun3.192556.13648@nas.nasa.gov> uselton@nas.nasa.gov (Samuel P. Uselton) writes:
>>I second this motion, and additionally, I'd like to see the membership card
>>just that tiny bit smaller so it would fit in the "windows" of a wallet.  It
>>has ALWAYS been just enough too big that it must be trimmed or folded if
>>I'm going to carry it.

I'll second the motion for a standard-sized membership card.

>Pray tell, why would you want to carry the membership card on you?
You go to a conference, and in typical befuddled fashion you haven't
pre-registerd.  First question from the person behind the desk:  "What's
your membership #?"  Going home to check the sticker on your last
magazine is just a tad inconvenient :-).

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CS grad student, University of Western Ontario
Phyz-mail:  Middlesex College, MC28-C, N6A 5B7
E-mail:     crispin@csd.uwo.ca		Voice:  519-661-3342
"If you want an operating system that is full of vitality and has a
great future, use OS/2."  --Andy Tanenbaum