[comp.org.acm] class/professor evaluations

greg@athena.cs.uga.edu (Greg Whitlock) (06/06/91)

The University of Georgia does not print a class/professor evaluation.
A suggestion was made for our chapter of the ACM to distribute, collect,
compile, and make available class/professor evaluations.  The evaluations
would be only made for the CS Department here at UGA. (Let the other
departments look after themselves...)

My question is:  Do any other chapters of the ACM do this?  If so, can
		 someone converse with me on the best approach?
		 Also, if any else has and info/suggestions on this
		 subject, please email me.

Thanks, and I'll summarize all responses that come via email.
Greg Whitlock                          | Hey! It's the Gregster...Gregarino..
Department of Computer Science         | ...the Greg-meister...Greginsky..the
ACM chairman of UGA                    | man from Greg...Gregatollah...Greg-a
University of Georgia, Athens          | -loo...General Gregkopf...the Greg-
E-mail: greg@athena.cs.uga.edu         | man...Grego..come to do some Unix...
_______________________________________|_____________________________________

PCS$1188@SLU.BITNET (06/07/91)

Greg Whitlock and other interested parties.......
Many universities do publish the evaluation results for the students to
use.  We are currently pushing for ours to be published.  Go to your
student government association and your testing center or whoever compiles
the results.  Lobby the "powers that be" ....  The free exchange of that
kind of information insures that the lousy teachers have fewer students
to screw up and in the long run will improve your university by weeding them
out before they get permanent positions on the faculty.  If no one registers
for thier classes they can't teach!......

Anne Applin                      *  Even a fish wouldn't get into         *
Chair, ACM of SLU                *  trouble if it would keep its damn     *
Southeastern LA Univ             *  mouth shut......                      *
PCS$1188@SLU.BITNET              *          R.F.Gates,M.D.  (Daddy)       *
   Standard disclaimer.....

ikluft@uts.amdahl.com (Ian Kluft) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun5.174820.9058@athena.cs.uga.edu> greg@athena.cs.uga.edu (Greg Whitlock) writes:
>The University of Georgia does not print a class/professor evaluation.
>A suggestion was made for our chapter of the ACM to distribute, collect,
>compile, and make available class/professor evaluations.  [...]
>
>My question is:  Do any other chapters of the ACM do this?  If so, can
>		 someone converse with me on the best approach?

I think this topic will be watched with interest by many student chapters.

When I was in school at Cal State Univ, Chico, we had the same question.
(Though the school does evaluations, the results are confidential.)  Our final
decision was that it was much too political.  The ACM chapter at CSU Chico
depends on faculty support in several ways.  We decided that, if we were going
to do anything of that kind, the survey results would only go toward awards
for the best instructors.  It was the only politically safe approach to take.

Professor evaluations are a good idea.  The problem is that your chapter may be
too close to the action not to be affected by the results.
---
#include                                                     <std-disclaimer.h>
#define      UTS                     (( Unix System V ) + ( Amdahl mainframe ))
Ian Kluft                              UTS Systems Software, Amdahl Corporation
ikluft@uts.amdahl.com                                           Santa Clara, CA

craig@sics.se (Craig Partridge) (06/11/91)

In <a31801wv86X.00@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> ikluft@uts.amdahl.com (Ian Kluft) writes:

>Professor evaluations are a good idea.  The problem is that your chapter may be
>too close to the action not to be affected by the results.

My experience suggests that objective evaluations (printing means and
deviations from student evaluations using numbers), and allowing faculty
to review the form (not approve, review), goes a long way to keeping folks
happy.  If you allow students to write comments (which are very helpful to
instructors), don't print them.  Just print the numbers.  Also, make copies
of all own forms available to the professors after the end of the term.

Another trick I've seen is to allow professors to decide if they want to
be evaluated if their course isn't one of the required ones for the
degree.  (Actually, Harvard lets any professor opt out for any course,
but there's some polite pressure to permit evaluation of major courses).

Craig