[net.rec.birds] black squirrels vs pink elephants

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (01/05/86)

   I know that this question really doesn't belong strictly on
net.rec.birds, but people who going birding see a lot more
than just birds.
   The other day I was stopped at a gas station in southern New
Jersey when out of some bushes appeared a black squirrel.  Now,
I've seen gray sqirrels and red ones too, but never a black one.
Am I just a deprived person or am I hullucinating (not the latter
cause I got the little fella on film.)

			       Dwight Bartholomew
UUCP:{decvax,ihnp4,seismo,inuxc,sequent,uiucdcs }!pur-ee!pur-phy!galileo!dub
     {decwrl,hplabs,icase,psuvax1,siemens,ucbvax}|purdue!pur-phy!galileo!dub

  Help promote peace and make the world a safer place for parakeets.
						       (and people)

kehoe@hpfcla.UUCP (01/07/86)

No, you are not crazy.  The black squirrel that you saw was probably a color
variation of the species of squirrel known as the "grey" squirrel.  They are
common in certain locations, like nothern and western Wisconsin where I grew up.
There are other variations in the color of this species also, like cinnamon.
All the color variations of this species are about the same size and shape.
The smaller red squirrel is a different species.

						Jeff Kehoe
						Hewlett-Packard Co.
						Ft. Collins, CO 80525
						hpfcla!kehoe

gh@utai.UUCP (Graeme Hirst) (01/07/86)

> ... out of some bushes appeared a black squirrel.  Now,
> I've seen gray squirrels and red ones too, but never a black one.
> Am I just a deprived person or am I hullucinating?
>			       Dwight Bartholomew

There are areas, such as Toronto, in which black is the most common color
for the Eastern grey [sic] squirrel.
--
\\\\   Graeme Hirst    University of Toronto	Computer Science Department
////   utcsri!utai!gh  /  gh.toronto@csnet-relay  /  416-978-8747

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (01/09/86)

In article <1936@pur-phy.UUCP> dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) writes:

>   I know that this question really doesn't belong strictly on
>net.rec.birds, but people who going birding see a lot more
>than just birds.
>   The other day I was stopped at a gas station in southern New
>Jersey when out of some bushes appeared a black squirrel.  Now,
>I've seen gray sqirrels and red ones too, but never a black one.
>Am I just a deprived person or am I hullucinating (not the latter
>cause I got the little fella on film.)
>
>			       Dwight Bartholomew
>UUCP:{decvax,ihnp4,seismo,inuxc,sequent,uiucdcs }!pur-ee!pur-phy!galileo!dub
>     {decwrl,hplabs,icase,psuvax1,siemens,ucbvax}|purdue!pur-phy!galileo!dub

Oh yes indeed you did see a black squirrel.  My parrents are fortunate enough
to have one quite tame in the back yard that comes to feed on the indian
corn and peanuts we leave out the back door.  He sure
is beeeeutiful, especially against the snow, I could watch him for hours.

dave schuh
!uwvax!schuh!schuh

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (01/10/86)

> I've seen gray sqirrels and red ones too, but never a black one.
> Am I just a deprived person or am I hullucinating (not the latter
> cause I got the little fella on film.)
>
> 			       Dwight Bartholomew
>   Help promote peace and make the world a safer place for parakeets.
> 						       (and people)

I've seen a bunch of jet-black squirrels in the Mountainview area
of California.  I had never seen them before three years ago, though.

Gary

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (01/14/86)

	In the east, there are black grey squirrels. Not many, but
some. I can only remember seeing one and I've seen quite a few
squirrels. In Palo Alto (and probably Mountainview as another poster
mentioned) the black squirrels are introduced. They were introduced
on the Stanford campus but I can't remember why. The original squirrels
came from China, I believe. They are rather attractive, aren't they?

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb