[comp.windows.interviews] tvtwm and interviews

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (04/12/91)

> I don't have any objection to this, but when running under the tvtwm window
> manager, the windows always wind up popping up over in the home corner of
> the large "virtual" root window.

It would appear that InterViews is setting USPosition hints.  USPosition
should only be set if the USER has asked for a window to be placed in a
specific location.  For program default positions, PPosition should be
used instead.

--
(I kid you not)Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (04/12/91)

I am currently running InterViews 2.6. The default behavior on creating a
new top level window seems to be to forcibly create it slightly offset from
the last top level window, so you get this nice effect of a stack of cards.

I don't have any objection to this, but when running under the tvtwm window
manager, the windows always wind up popping up over in the home corner of
the large "virtual" root window.

I think I have an idea how to pound on the code in X11-world.c to make this
work "right", but I am just wondering if the change has already been made in
InterViews 3.0 (which I will probably be going to as soon as we get our new
C++ compiler).

(I am currently running a hack that just changes the window manager hints to
allow me to position the window myself, but I would rather it got the
coordinates right).

This problem with application code and tvtwm is not unique to InterViews,
but InterViews is what I mostly use these days, so I don't care much about
the other applications...
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

linton@marktwain.rad.sgi.com (Mark Linton) (04/14/91)

In article <TOML.91Apr11144428@marvin.Solbourne.COM>, toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) writes:
|> > I don't have any objection to this, but when running under the tvtwm window
|> > manager, the windows always wind up popping up over in the home corner of
|> > the large "virtual" root window.
|>
|> It would appear that InterViews is setting USPosition hints.  USPosition
|> should only be set if the USER has asked for a window to be placed in a
|> specific location.  For program default positions, PPosition should be
|> used instead.

In the current implementation, by the time hints are set we don't know whether
the placement is program-specified or via customization (command-line, Xdefaults,
app-defaults).  Setting USPosition is correct for the latter case (customization);
the former shouldn't happen for top-level windows (at least, I can't see a reason
why an application would do that).  Transients are the one place where USPosition
is technically wrong, but it seems like you would want window managers to put
transients where the program wants anyway.

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (04/14/91)

|> In the current implementation, by the time hints are set we don't know whether
|> the placement is program-specified or via customization (command-line, Xdefaults,
|> app-defaults).  Setting USPosition is correct for the latter case (customization);
|> the former shouldn't happen for top-level windows (at least, I can't see a reason
|> why an application would do that).  Transients are the one place where USPosition
|> is technically wrong, but it seems like you would want window managers to put
|> transients where the program wants anyway.

I think program specified placement is common for multi top-level window
applications where it is desired to have the top-level windows positioned
relative to one another.

--
(I kid you not)Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM