[comp.windows.interviews] creating a simple graphical editor using ibuild

tang@BRAUN.STANFORD.EDU (Steve Tang) (04/13/91)

Currently (the beta ibuild) doesn't support the creation of graphical editors,
partly because ibuild's code generation doesn't support unidraw objects.  But
ibuild does help in defining the look of the editor (pull down menus etc) and
wherever a new object (something not defined or supported by ibuild) needs to
be created, you can create a hole by putting a rigid HGlue and a rigid VGlue
into an HBox and wrap the hole in a MonoScene subclass object so that
later on you can insert your GraphicBlock or Viewer object in it.  The
MonoScene subclass object can subsequently control the inserted object.

							Steve

tang@BRAUN.STANFORD.EDU (Steve Tang) (04/17/91)

>Steve Tang writes:
>> Currently (the beta ibuild) doesn't support the creation of graphical editors
>>partly because ibuild's code generation doesn't support unidraw objects.

>Are you planning on extending ibuild to support unidraw?  If so will
>it be in the official 3.0 release?  It would be a real plus to the
>tool.

  The next extension to the current IBuild would probably be the support of
Glyph objects.  Right after that we'd like to investigate how ibuild could
support Unidraw objects.  IBuild is strong in graphical specification of
user interface elements while Unidraw objects tends to be semantic in nature,
so how IBuild can support Unidraw objects remains research for now.

							Steve