[comp.windows.interviews] Idraw Advise

mclemore@GND1.WTP.CONTEL.COM ("KENNY MCLEMORE") (04/22/91)

To:		InterView Community
From:		Ken McLemore, Contel Software Engineering
Phone:		703-818-4666
Subject:	InterViews, Idraw
Date:		April 19, 1991

We are developing a workstation capability for meteorologist to
perform weather analysis and are interested in incorporating the
"idraw" functionality into our product. We are currently using an
SGI platform for development and have TAE+ Version 4.1 installed
(InterViews 2.5).

Currently we can display layered weather graphic images using
direct "XCreateImage/XPutImage" X Window calls (ZPixmap format).
Our task is to provide the user with capabilities to pan, zoom and
add symbolic weather data to this layered image.  Additionally,
the user would be able to manipulate individual image layers (ie.
change color, remove from display).

The weather data used to display this layered image is received in
several formats (ex. raster, vector, alphanumeric) and is stored
in Contel proprietary "meta file" format prior to display
processing.

Basically what we would like to do is invoke "idraw" from our
existing application and have "idraw" access the currently
displayed image using a supplied resource identifier.  "Idraw's"
look and feel would remain unchanged but an initial canvas would
be provided on which the user could perform editing functions.

Another approach we are considering would be to add PostScript
"image" processing capabilities to "idraw" model,  does this seem
reasonable or is the PostScript "image" not suitable for our
application ?

If your have any recommendations or have knowledge of existing
software products that may be of interest, please drop me a line.

Thanks for your time,

Ken McLemore