[comp.windows.interviews] 3.0 beta on SPARC, 4.0.3, Saber-C++ cfront

ian@research.canon.oz.au (Ian Daniel) (04/23/91)

> drich@klaatu.lanl.gov (David O. Rich) writes:
>
>Are there any know problems trying to install InterViews 3.0 (Beta) on
>a SPARCstation running SunOS 4.0.3? In my first attempt (using
>Saber-C++) several files did not compile due to "cpp" segmentation
>faults or bus errors (weird).  I'm in the process of trying it using
>the Sun C++ compiler instead.  Anyone seen this weirdness?

I ran into this "bus error or something nasty like that" error, using
Saber-C++ cfront 2.1 and SunOS 4.0.3, in the alpha release.

For idraw, I split up ided.c by putting IdrawEditor::Tools() in a separate
file, IdrawEditor::Commands() in a separate file, and thus cutting down the
number of includes in ided.c. This worked, and hence I got a working idraw.

I did not try this with ibuild, since there were too many files which had
the insidious error.

> gwu@tcs.com (George J Wu) writes:
>
>     This is very probably the Sun cpp #include limit.  Sun's version of
>cpp can't handle more than a fixed number of total #include statements.
>The workaround is to use another version of cpp, ie. GNU's version.

I think this adds credence to what George said.

Ian
Ian Daniel, Software Engineer                | Net: ian@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +61 2 805 2911
P.O. Box 313 North Ryde, NSW, Australia 2113 | Fax:   +61 2 805 2929