[comp.windows.interviews] InterViews 3.0 Beta -- same Saber errors

pwb@mrj.com (Peter W. Brewer) (04/24/91)

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 91 11:00:37 PDT
From: uunet!mprgate.mpr.ca!lchow (Leslia Chow)
To: pwb@mrj.com
Subject: InterViews 3.0 Beta -- same Saber errors
Cc: lchow@mpr.ca

>Peter:

>I'm trying to build InterViews 3.0 Beta and have encountered the same
>problem as you did (your Article 96 of comp.windows.interviews)

>>internal<<AT&T C++ Translator 2.00 (Saber-C++ 1.0) 11/20/90>> error: bus error
>>(or something nasty like that)
>>1 error
>>*** Error code 1

>on the same source files.

>Have you been able to resolve this problem? I tried adding "+i" to CCDriver
>but this didn't work for me.

>Thanks for any help.

>Leslia Chow (lchow@mprgate.mpr.ca)

This is something I've encountered before as I have had long experience with
the translator .. even porting the 1.2 version to the Convex C-1. This is
usually something related to what the C-preprocessor generates and it is
usually signals a problem handling comments (C++ style). I have become
even more certain of this after someone like yourself sent me a note in
which he was able to solve some of the problems by 'changing' the position
of the #includes , and changing some. I was hoping some kind person on the
InterNet, (maybe even Calder or Vlissades), would have solved it. But no
dice.. my problem is this. I can spend the time making it work with g++
which is freely available and may produce more efficient code.. or I can
spend it solving AT&T's/now Saber's problems. I have heard that saber has
compiled this code inhouse, so I assume they have already played the game
of hunt-and-peck through the header files. I was hoping they would produce
the right fixes.., and I think it is a bad marketing decision not too.. this
makes it very hard for me to ask for more saber C/C++ seats from my
managers.

	Peter

tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) (04/24/91)

In article <9104232015.AA20161@mrj.com>, pwb@mrj.com (Peter W.  Brewer) writes:

|> >I'm trying to build InterViews 3.0 Beta and have encountered the same
|> >problem as you did (your Article 96 of comp.windows.interviews)

|> This is something I've encountered before as I have had long experience with
|> the translator .. even porting the 1.2 version to the Convex C-1. This is
|> usually something related to what the C-preprocessor generates and it is
|> usually signals a problem handling comments (C++ style).

This is certainly not a problem with the C-preprocessor.  If you look at the
error message, it specifically says "internal ... Translator ... error".
That is a message from cfront, not cpp.

There may have been an earlier problem, but this one is different.  It looks
like it should be a generic AT&T C++ problem.  I do not know why it seems to
only be affecting us SaberC++ user's:-(.
I wish somebody would fix it.

--
Tom Tkacik
GM Research Labs