Reading in symbols for ../monoglyph.c...Invalid symbol data: unrecognized type-c
ode `t' at symtab pos 28.
(gdb) where
#0  0x9960 in __11ivMonoGlyphiP7ivGlyph (...) (...)
Reading in symbols for ../monoglyph.c...Invalid symbol data: unrecognized type-c
ode `t' at symtab pos 28.
(gdb)

mrj.133 pwd
/usr2/InterViews/3.0-g++/iv/src/bin/ibuild
mrj.134 gdb sun4/a.out
GDB 3.5, Copyright (C) 1989 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY for GDB; type "info warranty" for details.
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "info copying" to see the conditions.
Reading symbol data from /usr2/InterViews/3.0-g++/iv/src/bin/ibuild/sun4/a.out..
.done.
Type "help" for a list of commands.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr2/InterViews/3.0-g++/iv/src/bin/ibuild/sun4/a.out

Program received signal 11, Segmentation fault
Reading in symbols for ../xpainter.c...Invalid symbol data: unrecognized type-co
de `t' at symtab pos 39.
(gdb) where
#0  0x108508 in SetColors__9ivPainterP7ivColorT1 (...) (...)
Reading in symbols for ../xpainter.c...Invalid symbol data: unrecognized type-co
de `t' at symtab pos 39.
(gdb)

This is where I'm at with g++.. have you solved your problems in this area
yet?

	Peter Brewer
	pwb%mrj.com@uunet.uu.net

lehors@LEMUR.INRIA.FR (Arnaud LE HORS) (04/30/91)

> I am using g++-1.39 on a Sun.
Wait a minute, there is a known problem with g++-1.39 which makes gdb unable to
work with g++-1.39 compiled programs.

This is why you get the message:
> Reading in symbols for ../monoglyph.c...Invalid symbol data: unrecognized
> type-code `t' at symtab pos 28.
which has nothing to do with IV. You can reproduce this problem with any other
C++ program compiled with g++-1.39.

This of course doesn't mean there is not a bug, it just means it's going to be a
little harder to find it out...
--
  Arnaud LE HORS     BULL Research France -- Koala Project, XPM Designer
  lehors@sa.inria.fr  Phone:(33) 93 65 77 71  Fax:(33) 93 65 77 66

pwb@mrj.com (Peter W. Brewer) (04/30/91)

>Wait a minute, there is a known problem with g++-1.39 which makes gdb unable to

Yep, I know.. but is even worst with dbx.. it just core dumps. Gdb does
'seem' to give the location? Thus I sent it out to see if anyone else
had solved this puzzle.

zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu (david d [zoo] zuhn) (04/30/91)

Peter> Yep, I know.. but is even worst with dbx.. it just core dumps. Gdb does
Peter> 'seem' to give the location? Thus I sent it out to see if anyone else
Peter> had solved this puzzle.

You can either replace the dbxout.c in g++-1.39 with that from 1.37.1,
which may take a little bit of work, but not much.  Or you can wait
for GDB 4.0, which does work nicely with g++ 1.39.  If you need to
debug soon, I'd go with the first route.  I don't know when GDB 4.0
will be released, so don't ask.

david d [zoo] zuhn		Univ. of Minnesota Dept. of Astronomy
zoo@aps1.spa.umn.edu		      Automated Plate Scanner Project

prl@iis.ethz.ch (Peter Lamb) (05/01/91)

I've just started playing with the applications in IV3.0, and have noticed that
the button outlining (and highlighting) in alert and the menu highlighting
in doc don't seem to work on the B/W screen of my SS1+ (SunOS4.1.1, MIT X11R4,
patch 18).  These are the only applications not compiled with 2.6
compatibility.
It all works just fine on my colour screen. Am I doing something
wrong or is this a bug?

--
Peter Lamb
uucp:  uunet!mcsun!ethz!prl	eunet: prl@iis.ethz.ch	Tel:   +411 256 5241

linton@marktwain.rad.sgi.com (Mark Linton) (05/08/91)

In article <prl.673032025@iis>, prl@iis.ethz.ch (Peter Lamb) writes:
|> I've just started playing with the applications in IV3.0, and have noticed that
|> the button outlining (and highlighting) in alert and the menu highlighting
|> in doc don't seem to work on the B/W screen of my SS1+ (SunOS4.1.1, MIT X11R4,
|> patch 18).  These are the only applications not compiled with 2.6
|> compatibility.
|> It all works just fine on my colour screen. Am I doing something
|> wrong or is this a bug?

The 3.0 beveled objects don't adapt to monochrome systems (where beveling isn't
particularly visible).  This will be fixed.