[comp.windows.interviews] InterViews 3.0 beta bug?

bramwell@Datap.ab.ca (Bob Bramwell) (06/12/91)

I tried posting this earlier, but suspect it never got out.  Sorry if
you've seen it before.

We are having a problem with InterViews 3.0 beta getting a
StringEditor and a Button to interact correctly.  The StringEditor is
supposed to give up control (return from its Handle function) whenever
it Reads an event targetted for someone else.  Our intent is to be
able to type a string into the StringEditor, and then hit the Button
to accept the input.

In practice, the Interactor::Read function called in
StringEditor::Handle never returns, beacuse the event it gets back
from Event::read does not have a target or handler().  This appears to
be caused by the fact that Interactor::target has not been called to
fix up the 'backward compatibility' portions of the event structure.
Of course, that's hardly surprising, because the Button isn't an
interactor; it's a 3.0 Button, not a 2.6 Button.  This theory is borne
out by the fact that two StringEditors can pass control back and forth
quite happily, but neither will yield control to the Button.

Is this behaviour a bug?  If not, to what extent should mixing 2.6
stuff with 3.0 stuff work?

Replies via e-mail may not work due to domain name service problems
upstream of us.  Please post (short) responses to this group.  Thanks.
--
Bob Bramwell	Snail:  10th Floor,	|
			940 6 Av SW,	|   "I love my country,

sung@rigel.csc.ti.com ("Helen Chang ", sung@csc.ti.com) (06/12/91)

To: covert!bramwell@shelby.Stanford.EDU (Bob Bramwell)

   We are having a problem with InterViews 3.0 beta getting a
   StringEditor and a Button to interact correctly.  The StringEditor is
   supposed to give up control (return from its Handle function) whenever
   it Reads an event targetted for someone else.  Our intent is to be
   able to type a string into the StringEditor, and then hit the Button
   to accept the input.

Bob,

We have encountered the same problem.  Our application use 3.0beta only
with StringEditor from 2.6.  We were stuck and our temporary workaround
was adding a "\r" (enter key) as done indication to the StringEditor, so
that it could get out of StringEditor.

We would appreciate your sending us anything you learn about this bug.

Helen Chang

------- End of Forwarded Message