[bionet.neuroscience] Connections of auditory system

GHRIGG01@ulkyvm.bitnet ("Garrett H. Riggs") (05/09/91)

Does anyone know of a reference that delineates the mandatory synapses in the
ascending projections of the auditory system? More specifically, does anyone
know if the inferior colliculus is a mandatory synapse in this system?

A reference would be wonderful, but unreferenced opinions are also welcome!

Thanks.

Garrett Riggs
GHRIGG01@ULKYVM.BITNET

brp@bandit.berkeley.edu (Bruce Raoul Parnas) (05/09/91)

In article <9105081710.AA04272@genbank.bio.net> GHRIGG01@ulkyvm.bitnet ("Garrett H. Riggs") writes:

>Does anyone know of a reference that delineates the mandatory synapses in the
>ascending projections of the auditory system? More specifically, does anyone
>know if the inferior colliculus is a mandatory synapse in this system?

the best reference i know for auditory physiology is "An Introduction to the
Physiology of Hearing", by J.O. Pickles.  It will surely have the answer to
this question and many others about auditory physiology.

To give something of an answer myself:  it is hard to say what is really
mandatory.  The Superior Olivary complex is generally assumed to be
responsible for spatial localization.  I've heard recently of work (sorry,
i don't have a reference) where the SOC was lesioned and animals could still
localize!?

according to pickles, the ic receives input which contains information about
timing (spatial localization) and complex frequency analysis.  it seems to be
a center for both localization and source identification.  as such, it would
seem to be a critical synapse in the ascending pathway.
>Garrett Riggs
>GHRIGG01@ULKYVM.BITNET

bruce
(brp@bandit.berkeley.edu)

bruce
(brp@bandit.berkeley.edu)

ddoherty@ics.uci.edu (Donald Doherty) (05/10/91)

	All ascending auditory pathways must synapse at the inferior
colliculus before going to the thalamus (medial geniculate).  If anyone
has a reference to data contrary to this assertion please let me know.

Donald Doherty
Dept. of Psychobiology
University of California
Irvine, CA  92717

svolman@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Susan F Volman) (05/14/91)

    There are in fact some projections from the nuclei of the lateral
lemniscus to the thalamus that bypass the inferior colliculus.
I don't have time to find a reference, but most anatomy books
do acknowledge them.
    Are these inputs major enough to be involved in important
aspects of auditory processing?  I don't know whether
this question has been studied much, if at all.