[bionet.neuroscience] Brain sexual dimorphism

GHRIGG01@ulkyvm.bitnet ("Garrett H. Riggs") (05/28/91)

Hello, everyone.

I'm looking for any really good references (especially recent articles) on
differences between males and females in the development of brain/CNS
structures (any species will do). Any information would be greatly
appreicated!

Thanks.

Garrett Riggs
Dept. of Anatomical Sciences and Neurobiology
University of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, Kentucky 40292 USA
GHRIGG01@ULKYVM.BITNET

dadler@milton.u.washington.edu (David Adler) (05/31/91)

GHRIGG01@ulkyvm.bitnet ("Garrett H. Riggs") writes:

>Hello, everyone.

>I'm looking for any really good references (especially recent articles) on
>differences between males and females in the development of brain/CNS
>structures (any species will do). Any information would be greatly
>appreicated!

>Thanks.

I don't have references but I thought I would
throw an idea out. All female mammals (marsupials
excluded) are mosaics, for X-linked genes, due
to the random inactivation of the X chromosome.
I've always thought that this
may be important in terms of sexual dimorphism
in mammals, particularly in brain/CNS development,
function and maybe behavior. Maybe a little
discussion of this idea would be fruitful.

David A. Adler                  Pathology SM-30
University of Washington        Seattle, WA 98195
"Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense"
T.H.Huxley
--
David A. Adler			Pathology SM-30
University of Washington	Seattle, WA 98195
"Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense"
T.H.Huxley 1825-1895