[bionet.neuroscience] Rat brain atlas

bljaho@uta.fi (Jari Honkaniemi) (06/19/91)

We are planning to do a rat brain atlas for IBM PC
(and possibly for McIntosh). The sections would represent
coronal orientation. The pictures could be further processed
for manuscripts etc. To our knowledge this kind of software
is not available on any commercial or public sources.
If you know that this kind of program is already available
or if you have interest in having your own copy,
please e-mail/mail/fax me.

Jari Honkaniemi, MD

bljaho@kielo.uta.fi

University of Tampere
Department of Biomedical Sciences
BOX 607
SF-331010 Tampere
FINLAND

Fax +358-31-156170

vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) (06/21/91)

bljaho@uta.fi (Jari Honkaniemi) writes:

>We are planning to do a rat brain atlas for IBM PC
>(and possibly for McIntosh). The sections would represent
>coronal orientation. The pictures could be further processed
>for manuscripts etc. To our knowledge this kind of software
>is not available on any commercial or public sources.
>If you know that this kind of program is already available
>or if you have interest in having your own copy,
>please e-mail/mail/fax me.

I had heard a while back that Floyd Bloom's lab at the Salk Institute
in La Jolla (San Diego), California, had planned or completed a rat
brain atlas for Hypercard for the Macintosh. Does anyone else have any
information about this?

Cheers.

--

Vincent Mazzarella
College of Medicine, Neuroscience Program

kraig@biostr.washington.edu (Kraig Eno) (06/21/91)

bljaho@uta.fi (Jari Honkaniemi) writes:
> >We are planning to do a rat brain atlas for IBM PC
> >(and possibly for McIntosh).

We have the "Brain Browser" rat brain atlas from Floyd Bloom at San Diego.
It was $250 or so.  Here's the description out of their manual:

Brain Browser Version 1.1
6-800K Mac disks with manual
Requires a Mac with 1MB RAM, and HyperCard 1.2.1 (hard disk recommended)
Includes an electronic version of the rat brain in stereotaxic
coordinates, by George Paxinos and Charles Watson.
Audience: beginning and advanced neuroscience students as well as
neuroscience researchers.

The NeuroNavigator portion of the stack, which has black-and-white line
drawings, "allows the user to search rapidly for any brain structure
defined in its glossary of Brain Places, in any of the three standard
planes of section."

Kraig Eno, kraig@biostr.washington.edu
"Problems generate new knowledge" - M. Usui