[bionet.neuroscience] Auditory Impulse Travel and Distance

054340%UOTTAWA@ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT (Matthew Simpson) (06/18/91)

Dear Friends,

Could anyone here direct me to the literature which
would tell me how far along a neural pathway an
impulse will travel as intensity varies?
I am interested in research which indicates that
impulses, resulting from stimuli of varying intensity,
will travel different distances along the auditory
pathway.

More simply put, do louder sounds travel further along
auditory pathways than sounds which are more quiet?

Thank you for your time and attention.
  __    ||   __
  -\\   ||  //-      O=====================================O
    \\__||_//         |Matthew Simpson                    |
     \__||_/          |BITNET: 054340@UOTTAWA             |
        ||            |INTERNET: 054340@ACADVM1.UOTTAWA.CA|
      ======

brp@dino.berkeley.edu (Bruce Raoul Parnas) (06/18/91)

In article <9106171949.AA20716@genbank.bio.net> 054340%UOTTAWA@ICNUCEVM.CNUCE.CNR.IT (Matthew Simpson) writes:
>Dear Friends,

>More simply put, do louder sounds travel further along
>auditory pathways than sounds which are more quiet?

Any sound which we perceive, whether loud or soft, must travel into the
auditory cortex, hence all the way along the pathway.  The intensity of the
sound doesn't affect whether the signal is propagated.  If it is transduced
at the cochlea, it will be transmitted.  Some neurons are level dependent,
i.e. their discharge probability is a function of input intensity, but many
are not.  These will convey the signal (almost) independent of its intensity.

bruce
(brp@bandit.berkeley.edu)

slehar@park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) (06/18/91)

The  reason why  the brain  uses  neural spiking, and  encodes  signal
magnitude as spiking frequency  is exactly  to avoid   the degredation
with distance that is experienced by the  alternative method of neural
signaling, i.e. the density of ions of a particular charge.

The ions, injected at the site of  neural input must diffuse passively
along the neuron, which works ok as long as they don't have to diffuse
too far.   When you get one  of  those neurons  with an extremely long
axon  however, there may be  little or no charge  left by the time the
signal gets to the end, so the signal decays with distance.

In a spiking neuron, the diffusion  must only travel the distance from
the dendrites to the axon hillock.  There, the ions either have enough
charge density to trigger an  action potential,  or they don't.   Once
the  action potential  is triggered,  it is  guaranteed to  travel the
whole length of the    axon,   and since    each spike is   a complete
depolarization of the membrane, there is  no distinction between "weak
spikes" and "strong spikes", all spikes are essentially the same.

========[ end of quick answer- beginning of more detail ]=============

Here is a simplistic explaination designed to clarify the dynamics of
neural firing without delving into deep technicalities.

The sodium pump  constantly and steadily  pumps sodium  (+)  ions from
inside the cell to outside, until a negative charge is built up inside
the  cell relative to  the outside.  There are a  few passive channels
around that allow  some of the   charge to  leak   back in at   a rate
proportional to the potential difference across the  membrane, so that
even though the pumps run continuously, the charge can  never build up
too great, but settles  at some  equilibrium  value, where the rate at
which the pumps pump it out is exactly balanced  by the  rate at which
it flows back in through the passive channels.

Electrically gated channels  are also  scattered about, and these will
open if the membrane is DE-polarized, i.e.  if the potential begins to
break down,  the electrically gated channels will  make it  break down
even more.  This creates an unstable situation, because a little local
depolarization near  an  electrically   gated  channel,  say,  from  a
chemically  gated channel that  has   just locked on to  a transmitter
molecule, will create a larger local depolarization.  The electrically
gated channel has a  refactory period, so   that it  can only allow  a
little gulp of positive ions  back into the  cell before it slams shut
again   to recover.   That gulp of  ions   diffuses outward,  and what
happens next  depends critically on the  density of electrically gated
channels in  the local viscinity.   If the next  one is too  far away,
then the  charge will  not be strong  enough  to   trigger it, and the
charge diffuses slowly in space and  time.  If enough  of these events
occur  however, and  close enough in   time, then  the  total positive
charge in the  cell will become high enough  to trigger even  the more
remote channels.

Now  the axon hillock  is    richly endowed  with  electrically  gated
channels in close proximity to each other, so that if a single  one of
these were to open, it will set off a cascade of channel openings that
will flood the cell with  positive  charge in  one  great pulse.   Now
along the  axon  there  are more  ion  pumps   and  electrically gated
channels, (positioned at the nodes of Ranvier so that they have access
to the extracellular environment) so that  a  similar event occurs all
along the axon.  You can see that a saturation  event like this cannot
occur half-way, either the system fires or it does not.

At the output end of the neuron these spasms of depolarization trigger
the  release of pulses  of transmitter which   cause the  injection of
gulps of   ions  into  the  postsynaptic  cell,  thereby automatically
performing a frequency  - to - magnitude,  or  digital -  to -  analog
conversion of the  phasic pulsed  signal into an "analog" magnitude of
charge in the postsynaptic cell.
--
(O)((O))(((O)))((((O))))(((((O)))))(((((O)))))((((O))))(((O)))((O))(O)
(O)((O))(((               slehar@park.bu.edu               )))((O))(O)

brp@dino.berkeley.edu (Bruce Raoul Parnas) (06/19/91)

In article <SLEHAR.91Jun18084520@park.bu.edu> slehar@park.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:

>The  reason why  the brain  uses  neural spiking, and  encodes  signal
>magnitude as spiking frequency  is exactly  to avoid   the degredation
>with distance that is experienced by the  alternative method of neural
>signaling, i.e. the density of ions of a particular charge.

i think the question here is not one of active vs. electrotonic spread of
electrical activity through nerves, but of information transfer.  signals
which are weak, i.e. produce only a few spikes, could lose their identity in
background firing rates of subsequent neurons.  thus, spikes still
propagate rather than dissipating, but the signal is lost.

it turns out that in the auditory system this is probably not the case.  the
preponderance of the noise is at the front end, and signals are actually
refined by ensemble processing as they travel along.  thus, any signal
that is lucky enough to make it past the cochlea and get transduced, i.e.
pulled out from the noise, will very likely make it to the auditory cortex.

tbd@neuro (Tristan Davies) (06/21/91)

>>More simply put, do louder sounds travel further along
>>auditory pathways than sounds which are more quiet?
>
>Any sound which we perceive, whether loud or soft, must travel into the
>auditory cortex, hence all the way along the pathway.  The intensity of the
>sound doesn't affect whether the signal is propagated.  If it is transduced
>at the cochlea, it will be transmitted.  Some neurons are level dependent,

Absolutely correct!!

>i.e. their discharge probability is a function of input intensity, but many
>are not.  These will convey the signal (almost) independent of its intensity.
>

>bruce
>(brp@bandit.berkeley.edu)

Thank you for the simplest, most elegant answer.  I have an additional fact
which y'all might find interesting.  The range of sensitivity of an
auditory neuron is measured by a *tuning curve*, which is a graph of
sound frequency (x axis) vs. intensity to cause firing (i.e., threshold)
(y-axis).  When recording the activity of single auditory neurons,
physiologists find that most neurons have a tuning curve which is roughly
V-shaped, indicating that the neuron has the lowest threshold at a single
frequency and its ability to respond to a pure tone decreases as the
frequency of that tone is farther from the preferred frequency of the
neuron.  Get it?

Here's the neat thing: some neurons have **circular tuning curves**!
That is, they respond only to a narrow range of both frequency and
intensity.  While some neurons prefer loder noises, there are also neurons
that prefer soft sounds, and will not fire in response to a loud sound,
even if that sound is at the preferred frequency.  Thus the loudness
of a sound is probably encoded in *which* neurons fire more than the rate
at which they fire.

BTW, I have encountered a couple of these neurons during a lab rotation
where I recorded from the inferior colliculus in bats, so I'm fairly
certain they exist...

Hope this helps!

Tristan Davies
Dept. of Neurobiology, Duke Univ.
Go Blue Devils!!!

e-mail: tbd@neuro.duke.edu

"The brain is truly an impressive organ.  It starts working the instant
we get up in the morning and doesn't stop working until we get to
the office." --paraphrased from an unknown source