[bionet.neuroscience] Nonintrusive Cortical Stimulation

sasp@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (James Fincannon) (06/21/91)

What are the dangers in inducing electrical fields
in the brain?  A Feb 91 article in IEEE Biomedical
ENg Trans. describe serious studies into this
application for brain motor area stimulation.
The study was theoretical, but do not such fields
permenently affect the areas stimulated?  Have any
testing been done on people with this method?
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

jfa0522@hertz.njit.edu (john f andrews ece) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.140622.23392@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> sasp@venus.lerc.nasa.gov (James Fincannon) writes:
>What are the dangers in inducing electrical fields
>in the brain?  A Feb 91 article in IEEE Biomedical
>ENg Trans. describe serious studies into this
>application for brain motor area stimulation.
>The study was theoretical, but do not such fields
>permenently affect the areas stimulated?  Have any
>testing been done on people with this method?
>News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.3-4

I have a few articles in front of me that may be of interest (I have not studied
tham yet)

Actually, they all deal with focal magnetic stimulation.

You might see the work of Cohen, Leonardo G. out of NIH.

john f andrews                SYSOP           The Biomedical Engineering BBS
    24 hrs             300/1200/2400/4800               (201) 596-5679
INTERNET jfa0522@hertz.njit.edu                                CIS 73710,2600