[comp.os.coherent] TCP/IP

dprrhb@inetg1.ARCO.COM (Reginald H. Beardsley) (04/04/91)

   TCP/IP source for XINU should be out from Prentice-Hall this month in
Doug Comer's  book, "Internetworking with TCP/IP, Vol. II"  so it might be
good to drag your feet on writing code.  XINU is close enough to Unix in
design philosophy that  the port  should be fairly easy.  Sure would be nice
to have a TCP/IP implementation which was common to both Coherent and Minix.

--
Reginald H. Beardsley
ARCO Information Services

dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.154247.7552@Arco.COM>, dprrhb@inetg1.ARCO.COM (Reginald H. Beardsley) writes:

>    TCP/IP source for XINU should be out from Prentice-Hall this month in
> Doug Comer's  book, "Internetworking with TCP/IP, Vol. II"  so it might be
> good to drag your feet on writing code.  XINU is close enough to Unix in
> design philosophy that  the port  should be fairly easy.  Sure would be nice
> to have a TCP/IP implementation which was common to both Coherent and Minix.

	All Xinu sources, including my TCP/IP code, are copyrighted
by Prentice-Hall. Distribution or sale without permission is illegal. Anyone
seriously wanting to use this code in a distribution or (in other words)
wanting to port it to other systems for other than personal use should contact
me or Dr. Comer. In similar cases, our "party line" is that you can have
permission to use the code as long as you distribute it free. In other words,
MINIX or Coherent with the TCP/IP code should cost the same as MINIX or
Coherent without it.
	Of course, you don't need permission to do the port(s) yourself; only
to distribute it. So in all cases, you're free to experiment with it on your
own (that's really what it's for). Just realize that Xinu is not public domain.
--
					+-DLS  (dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)