[comp.os.coherent] More coherent inquiries ...

wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) (04/05/91)

I, too, have been intrigued by Coherent - and I want to find out more.
My skeptical side says, "there has to be something missing."

From previous posts, I understand that full 386 support is not yet
available (no virtual memory and other limitations). TCP/IP support is
also yet to come, though this is less important to me now. What about
UUCP? HDB?

I'd love to play around with it at home, but I don't want to give up my
DOS environment yet that I (shamefully admit) rely so heavily on.  Can
Coherent and DOS co-reside, such that the system can be booted under
either?  Is anybody looking into a DOS-on-UNIX product for Coherent?

Thanks for all input.
--
               Bruce Wehr (wehr%dptc.decnet@srlvx0.srl.ford.com)
                (..!uunet!srlvx0.srl.ford.com!wehr%dptc.decnet)

mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) (04/05/91)

In article <39467@fmsrl7.UUCP> wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) writes:

...deleted stuff I can't answer.

>I'd love to play around with it at home, but I don't want to give up my
>DOS environment yet that I (shamefully admit) rely so heavily on.  Can
>Coherent and DOS co-reside, such that the system can be booted under
>either?  Is anybody looking into a DOS-on-UNIX product for Coherent?

Dos and Coherent can reside on the same hard drive. I have a 286 with a
40 Meg hard drive. Upon installing coherent I was able to partition my
hard drive into two 20 meg logical partitions. The first partition is
the active partition which I have DOS on, so by default my system boots-up
to DOS. The second partition I have Coherent installed on. Installation
includes a boot-strap program from Mark Williams Co. so when my system is
booting up I type 1 (for logical partition #1 - Dos is on 0) and my system
will boot-up with Coherent. Installation is quite easy and being able to
have both operating systems on my hard drive is a big bonus.

Hope this helps.

Michael Levy
Department of Computer Science and Systems
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmamster.ca

gt3741b@prism.gatech.EDU (Kikai heno hanashite) (04/05/91)

In article <39467@fmsrl7.UUCP> wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) writes:
>I, too, have been intrigued by Coherent - and I want to find out more.
>My skeptical side says, "there has to be something missing."

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.. that's why I called.  I think
compared to multi-thousand dollar products like "SCO Open Desktop", yeah
things are missing.. but the base product is complete (they basically
reverse engineered the kernal.. though, in a way that didn't violate
copywrite.. so that they wouldn't have to pay for the lisence(sp?)
(my spelling is lousy today)).  So, if you want SCO open desktop, where
X has been ported to take out all of the little things that might have
problems with the PC device drivers for graphics, and TCP/IP is already
there, and NFS, and DOSMerge, then you'll be disapointed.  If you want
Unix for under $500, though, you'll probably be happy.  And the company
says it's all source code compatable.. so if you do import X, you
shouldn't have to do that much aside from being sure the graphics drivers
don't choke on X.

>From previous posts, I understand that full 386 support is not yet
>available (no virtual memory and other limitations). TCP/IP support is
>also yet to come, though this is less important to me now.

My understanding is that you can get TCP/IP drivers/software off of
uunet.uu.net...  in source code form.  Since Coherent is source
code compatable with Unix, I'd say that should take care of TCP/IP.
(I know you can get SLIP off of uunet.uu.net)

> What about
>UUCP? HDB?
It comes with UUCP.

>I'd love to play around with it at home, but I don't want to give up my
>DOS environment yet that I (shamefully admit) rely so heavily on.  Can
>Coherent and DOS co-reside, such that the system can be booted under
>either?  Is anybody looking into a DOS-on-UNIX product for Coherent?

DOS and Coherent can co-reside on the same hard drive.  You can't run
DOS Applications from Coherent though (simular to DOSMerge under SCO
ODT.. probably the one part thing I find lacking in Coherent).

My info isn't from my own copy (I don't have one), but from phone calls
I've made, and the ad for coherent that has been in Byte and UnixWorld.
(It says right in the ad that it comes with a VI clone and UUCP).

John

--
    Discussing whether or not machines can think  |       John E. Rudd jr.
  is about as interesting as discussing whether   |  gt3741b@prism.gatech.edu

shawn@jpradley.jpr.com (Shawn Blair) (04/05/91)

I have seen several postings of inquiries about coherent features and software
in our new newsgroup for coherent users.  I have had coherent installed on a
20mb (8mb DOS, 12mb Coherent) since November, 1990.  In short, I LOVE IT!  For
the cost, I personally think Mark Williams Co. did a great job.  Now for what I
have learned ...

Coherent comes as a full operating system with all necessary tools to do basic
software development and uucp mail.  The system comes with cc, yacc, lex,
*roff, uucp, mail, and other things I know I have left out.  I am fairly new to
unix environments, but I think their tools are pretty acceptable for small
model development.  UUCP functions well (old style uucp), mail is pretty basic,
and kermit is included with the os.

Mark Williams Co. has a bulletin board system for registered users of Coherent
where you can test your uucp setups.  They also try to maintain available
PD software ports to the coherent os on the bbs (called mwcbbs).  For example,
I have downloaded, compiled, and am running such packages as xcmalt (comm),
CoMB (like elm), less, deliver, clam (csh like shell).  And that's only a
sampling!  I have a four page list of all updates (coherent fixes, etc), and
ported software available on the mwcbbs.  I have no doubt that much more is on
its way in the future.  In fact, another thread in this newsgroup is talking of
TCP/IP and VP/IX types of support.

Drawbacks that I see coherent as having as of version 3.10 (current) would be
lack of support for swapping and limitations to the 64k models.  The lack of
swapping means that when you run out of memory your program just stops.  The
64k model limitation is self explanatory.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong on
these things :). )  But with the creativity and the vast resources of the folks
on the net, I doubt any of these things will last long!

So there you have it from one horses mouth.  I hope this helps answer many of
your questions.  I highly recommend Coherent for those that are looking for a
low budget option and/or a good home os.

In article <25581@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt3741b@prism.gatech.EDU (Kikai heno hanashite) writes:
> So, if you want ... DOSMerge, then you'll be disapointed.

Oh well. One could hope, no?

> DOS and Coherent can co-reside on the same hard drive.  You can't run
> DOS Applications from Coherent though (simular to DOSMerge under SCO
> ODT.. probably the one part thing I find lacking in Coherent).

I agree. That, and the fact that programs are limited to a small memory
model. Fix a few things, and my $$$ are on its way.

--

wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr ) (04/09/91)

In article <27FBA3D9.18408@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) writes:

> Dos and Coherent can reside on the same hard drive.

I appreciate this response, along with all the email reponses I
received. Yes, it appears that Coherent can reside with DOS on the same
hard drive.

Suppose I want Coherent to reside with DOS on the same system, but
different hard drives. Would this be handled in the same manner?

Thanks again for all the input.

--

dtinker@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (David Tinker) (04/09/91)

In article <39655@fmsrl7.UUCP> wehr@fmsrl7.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) writes:
> In article <27FBA3D9.18408@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>,
> mlevy@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Michael Levy) writes:
>>
>> Dos and Coherent can reside on the same hard drive.
>
> I appreciate this response, along with all the email reponses I
> received. Yes, it appears that Coherent can reside with DOS on the same
> hard drive.
>
> Suppose I want Coherent to reside with DOS on the same system, but
> different hard drives. Would this be handled in the same manner?
Sure - logical partitions don't care which drive they're on.  This is all
described in the installation instructions (see under 'fdisk').
--
! David O. Tinker / Department of Biochemistry  / University of Toronto /   !
! TORONTO, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8 / Voice: (416) 978-3636 /                !