[comp.os.coherent] What's the difference ...

marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) (04/06/91)

If Coherent and Minix are not System V release 3, how far off are they?
Can all/most/some applications be ported from System V with a simple
recompile?  If not, what's missing?  For that matter, what if anything
is gained?  I'm wondering about buying one or both of these OS's.

I would really like to hear from users of both System V release 3 and
one of these more affordable alternatives.

Will these OS's run on a 386 machine?  What do I gain or lose here?
BTW, Is System V release three available for the same hardware as Coherent
and Minix from any vendor?

						Thanks in advance,
						Martin Zam
						(201)564-2554

wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.225609.19814@cbfsb.att.com> marz@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.zam) writes:
>If Coherent and Minix are not System V release 3, how far off are they?
>Can all/most/some applications be ported from System V with a simple
>recompile?  If not, what's missing?  For that matter, what if anything
>is gained?  I'm wondering about buying one or both of these OS's.
>
>I would really like to hear from users of both System V release 3 and
>one of these more affordable alternatives.
>
>Will these OS's run on a 386 machine?  What do I gain or lose here?
>BTW, Is System V release three available for the same hardware as Coherent
>and Minix from any vendor?

I run Minix, which has always tried to be Release 7 compliant (the last
"great" release before the split that lead to current System V and BSD).
As for 386 extensions, they exist, and are supported in the comp.os.minix.
You do _NOT_ get 386 support with the PH 1.5, although you do get 286
protected mode and virtual consoles ala SCO Xenix. Minix is a classical
hacker's OS; it comes with full source, and can be modified and twisted
to your heart's content.

If you want System V and all the assurances and hand holding that go with
it, then go buy it. Coherent gives you a shrink-wrap version of Unix that
you can bring up and experiment with, while Minix allows you to go down into
the internals of an excellent Version 7 implementation and actually learn
something meaty and useful about operating systems. Make up your mind and
pick the one that best fits your needs, and quit wishing for a Mercedes at
VW bug prices.

mitchell@MDI.COM (Bill Mitchell) (04/07/91)

Just picking a small nit

In article <1991Apr6.165841.7850@bilver.uucp> wbeebe@bilver.uucp (Bill Beebe) writes:
>You do _NOT_ get 386 support with the PH 1.5, although you do get 286
>protected mode and virtual consoles ala SCO Xenix. Minix is a classical
>hacker's OS; it comes with full source, and can be modified and twisted
>to your heart's content.

PH 1.5 minix will run on a 386 as well as on a 86/88 or a 286.  On a
286 or 386, you get protected mode operation (wild programs abort with
a memory protection violation instead of doing writes where they should
not).

You do not get virtual consoles with PH 1.5 (At least I think not, I'm
running 1.5.10 upgraded over the net, not 1.5 distributed by PH).  As
I recall, virtual console support is a nonstandard enhancement which
appeared on the net after PH released 1.5.  It's one of those modifications
or twists (modified twists?) (twisted modifications?) which was made
by a minix user who was able to add it because he had the source.

So far as I know, it's not certain yet whether virtual console support
will become a part of standard minix in future PH releases.  Ditto
for 386 support (another nonstandard enhancement which supports
executables larger than 64k+64k.

Minix, of course, also runs on 68000 machines, and has no 64k limit there.

--
mitchell@mdi.com (Bill Mitchell)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (04/10/91)

I use both Esix System V release 3.2 and Coherent v3.1.0.  In terms of
actually using the system, I currently prefer Coherent.  My version of
Sys V does not include manual pages.  My version of Sys V does, however,
include X-windows, Motif, networking and other things - I will eventually
exploit all this, but in 4 MB, it pages too much.  I imagine that as soon
as I get an upgrade, Sys V will be my choice, but Coherent will still be
my UUCP front-end "protecting" the Sys V machine from attack.  All in
all, I really like coherent.  Small model is a slight problem, but
NOT a big one at this time (sorry, no X or TCP/IP, but for $99.00, what
does it matter?)